Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:usnavy:

My Heidts IFS install on my 1965 Chevy II SS is almost finished, however, I have run into a problem. The steering hook-up will not connect because the steering rod is hitting on my header. I have a set of Hedman Headers
(68160) which the guys at Heidts say they recommend for the front end and it should work. Well it's not, I have attached some pictures. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated and if anyone lives in the Hampton Roads your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I can not see the pictures here at work but it sounds like you need to add another u-joint and a support bearing to move the shaft away from the header.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
looks like if the output shaft was longer you might be ok, either that or you need another joint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:usnavy:

Duane and Nova 404,

Thanks for the reply. Everything connected great when I had the header off (i.e. shaft long enough) but when I put the header on the shaft was blocked from aligning with the bottom joint by the header. Do you think a longer steering column shaft will solve my problem.

Gotta get my car back on the road, weather in VA is nice. :salute:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Dimple the header for clearance or try to change the angle of the shaft for more clearance.If you slide the column through the firewall farther it may help.Just be sure not to exceed the the angle the joints are designed to work with.

·
Registered
810 Posts
We just did the 62 and what I did was moved the whole column down toward the frame more and this provided the space we needed. I did not drill the top hole in the column until we had the shaft and things all lined up.

Take the two bolts loose that holds the colunm in at the dash and what ever you have at the fire wall and push the whole set up out of the firewall hole a little more.

You will be suprised just how much room it will give you.

Hope it helps

Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to Steering Hook-up -Hitting Header

Nova and Acadian Family,

I took Joe's (383Nova) advice and moved the column forward. I've attached a photo of the steering linkage mocked up. How does the angle of the joints look?

Charles:salute:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Doesnt look too severe to me. Take a protractor and measure the intersecting angle. By the pics it doesnt look more than 30 degrees which i believe most joints can handle. How does it steer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts