Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help to remove the gear box from the lower steering linkage? I heated the idler arm at both ends but no go. Is there speciality tools to remove the bushing or are they press fitted.
Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is a pitman arm puller if that is what you are trying to remove, but there is also a tie rod puller tool and there are a few styles. Some times it takes a little heat and the puller.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
It’s probably been on there a really long time. A pitman arm puller will be needed to remove it. Shoot some penetrating oil on it let it soak for some days. It’s a splined joint that fits very tight and I believe it has a slight taper so it’s going to be a battle..

Ive busted pitman arm pullers attempting to remove pitman arms from steering boxes on much newer trucks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies. I sprayed a lot of Rust Off on and waited a few hours and applied heat but no go. It doesn’t help when the outside temperature is 13 degrees today! I’ll spray it again, then call it a night and source out pitman puller tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pitman arm woes

Hey put the nut on with a impact air tool tighten then loosen and repeat. This will shock the rust loose and this will allow the arm to come off with the tool or not.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,568 Posts
I haven't tried this yet but will very soon. This makes a lot of sense and from what I see prevents damage to the steering arm seal from heat. Let us know if you decide to go this route.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
good tip there on that vid. i'd say thats the way to do it.

fab4...just wondering why you are pulling the steering box ?? i thought i read in here once about marking the steering position so when all is assembled the right an left turning is the same turns of the steering wheel either way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't tried this yet but will very soon. This makes a lot of sense and from what I see prevents damage to the steering arm seal from heat. Let us know if you decide to go this route.

Riverboat man, thx for passing on video. It may come to that! I’ll post pictures of end result.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good tip there on that vid. i'd say thats the way to do it.

fab4...just wondering why you are pulling the steering box ?? i thought i read in here once about marking the steering position so when all is assembled the right an left turning is the same turns of the steering wheel either way.
Redrider66ss, I’m removing it because my ‘63 gearbox is toast.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
The idea of marking the location of the pitman arm is a valid point. Since I haven't pulled mine yet I don't know for a fact that the Nova sector has a way of re-aligning the pitman arm to the sector shaft. I looked at the pitman arm that I bought from C2O and it does have two wide raised teeth along with the usual teeth so I have to think the sector shaft has the two slots for the pitman to be re-aligned to the correct center for left and right movement. Certainly someone here has replaced their pitman arm in the past and can verify what the Nova sector shaft has.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Here is a photo of the new pitman arm that I bought. You can see the two large key teeth. If the sector shaft will mate to this pitman arm then alignment will not be a problem. Would anyone wish to verify this will fit the Nova steering sector shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,915 Posts
OK--- here's my 2cents .... if you do use the 'pitman arm puller' ..... and are going to re-use your steering box (or re-use your sector-shaft) ........ THEN, before you use that puller - install the "shaft-nut" back onto the lower shaft ... just enough to protect those threads.
why -- because by using that puller , you may Mess-up your shaft threads (mushroom the end of that shaft -- been there), and then won't be able to re-thread that 'nut'.
Same thing about your "tie-rod end" ... however, most of the time ... you just replace those tie-rods anyway ...... so, not that important (as, where your 'sector shaft' might get reused -- if it's in good shape)

either way looks good --- with the puller or by cutting & impact gun.

I've done each.

Thanks for the video.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts