Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. It's been two years since I touched that Nova. Last thing I was working on my '69.... was teh steering coupler. I have a '69 power steering gearbox that wore out (adjustment is all taken up) and a '72 steering column. I bought a steering gearbox, manual, from a '69 camaro. It bolted in fine with a new pitman arm. The problem how is the steering coupler. I bought one from year one that was for a '69, but the darn thing is so tight I can't get teh collar to go around the gearbox's input shaft. i tried spreading the collar, but in doing so - i'm afraid i might break the collar. It's spread to where the bolt won't pass through because it's opening up too much. Do you guys have any idea what I can do? This saturday I think i'm going to unbolt the gearbox and bring it to year one and see if they have anything that fits at all.

should a steering coupler be able to slide over that input shaft pretty easily? or?

thanks guys. just one of the very few steps i need to take to get my car back on the road (safely.)

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I ran into this in my build. The steering coupler (aka rag joint) needs to be ground down to match the factory original. From my build thread:

I couldn't figure out why the new rag joint wouldn't go on the splined shaft of the steering box... then I looked at the old rag joint. Ha! The factory ground off half the teeth to get it to work. I copied this on the new joint:

The fit is VERY TIGHT, even after you have ground down the teeth as shown. But this is a good thing... or else you'd take a hard turn and... :eek: :eek: :skull: :skull:

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, lol! yeah that may be an option if the coupler i buy tomorrow won't fit either. crap, this sucks. i almost forgot why i stopped working on it last march, haha!

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
damn, lol! yeah that may be an option if the coupler i buy tomorrow won't fit either. crap, this sucks. i almost forgot why i stopped working on it last march, haha!
Option??? This is what the factory did to make it work! :rolleyes: I don't have a pic of the old one, but it looks almost exactly like the above pic...

I agree, you would think the rag joint should fit by just sliding it on... but...

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what did you use? a half-round file? or? i may have to try this. looking at my notes, i bought the larger of the two couplers that year one listed for my car...

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
+1 this is what i did. the factory ones appear to have been done this way as well. i was like you, i bought a new coupler/rag joint and noticed it didnt fit so i filed/ground it down and works perfectly.

i got mine from tamraz's parts on ebay store- he sells decent stuff at good prices.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
year one is AWESOME! the parts counter guy just took a 6 month old coupler that sat up in the car the whole time. a bit of surface rust on one side, but unused. credited me 60. then he gave me 20% off the new one, and spent another 50. this one doesn't have a flat on it so maybe it'll fit better. results soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts