Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hye guys just installed column and cut shaft from 63 but the column does not seem to go far enough through fir wall but really could not be any longer help

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
what kind of column are you installing again and whats the intended plan here? What does this look like disassembled? Type of ends on the steering shafts etc...
The length looks fine to me. You'll have to mount a lower column mount on the inside of the firewall.
It appears you are trying to couple an aftermarket column to the original box.
Welding? I wouldn't recomend any type of welding in the steering shafts. Remeber, this is what gives you control on your hold to the road. Don't trust your safety or life on welds only. Idealy, everything should be coupled together with DD or splined shafts.
I've done this sort of thing on my 55 chevy years ago. I made a coupler to hook a van tilt column to the original box. I drilled 2 holes through each end of the coupler body and both steering shafts off the box and column and used grade 8 bolts as a pins to hold things together. I trust that more than welds. if I had to do it again, I would have filed both ends down to a DD and used an open DD shaft as a coupler to hold it together along with grade 8 bolt pins through each end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info about welding I will bolt it and weld. It is a ididit column for the 63 nova and I cut the shaft and installed cpp's column shaft adapter splined one end and sleeve the other

1 - 4 of 4 Posts