Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the steering column from a floor stick shift. car go into my automatic car. when i do my auto to stick conversion. for a cleaner more original look, and if that column comes w a manual steering box. will it swap over as well as a package w no modification.yes it comes w the pitman arm

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Yes the columns will interchange, the steering gears will interchange and take the intermediate shaft too as the steering couplers are different sizes.
What year column are you going to install? Around 77 the floor plate changed slightly, it will work ok but you will need to either drill different holes in the plate to match the firewall mounts or change the plates.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont know

i will have to ask i belive it is out of a 75-76 and i made sure he got the steering column w manual box as a complete unit including the steeringshaft so there will not be any issues w the wiring other than the clutch pedal electrical switch

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
i will have to ask i belive it is out of a 75-76 and i made sure he got the steering column w manual box as a complete unit including the steeringshaft so there will not be any issues w the wiring other than the clutch pedal electrical switch
The column is the same power or manual so is the shaft, the steering coupler and pitman arm are the only differences, but it is best to get it all. The clutch pedal electrical switch will connect to the 2 purple wires on the neutral safety switch and should be long enough to reach over there if taken out of the wrapping.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k

whats the differance in the pitman? should i have him send the centerlink as well. and i spoke to him today it is complete minus the bolt that holds on the rag joint. from what i could tell he was describing to me over the phone. where it went i dont know. why he split it apart i dont know. maybe for shipping... fingures crossed on everthing being there:turn:

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
The center link is the same, the pitman shaft is smaller and that is why the need for the matching manual arm. The missing bolt is the same as the one in your coupler.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it today

everything came in today. the steering box is in good shape. and feels tight. the missing bolt is the one that holds the rag joint to the box. no biggy. the steering column. eh its ok. the key switch is busted out of it. and they kinda messed up opening when they pryed it out. i want to just take the sleeve from the stick shift column.. that deletes the column shift on a automatic one...
is it easy or hard to disassemble the columns to take two and make one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts