Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to get this little split ring back down on the bolt, I took it off to fix the turn signal piece and I can't seem to compress the spring to get the ring back in it's slot/position. I tried to push the whole piece back and then use a flathaed screwdriver to push the ring in it's slot.

·
6,502 Posts
I helped americangraffiti last weekend and on his it took both of us to get the clip back on (and we got some practice as we had to do it twice because the slotted plate was hitting exposed contacts on the nylon horn ring behind it and the horn was sounding when it shouldn't have been) and what we ended up doing was putting the nut back onto the shaft and then taking a set of locking pliers and by pulling out and rearward on the nut we were able to get the slotted plate down far enough to where we were able to get the clip to seat in the groove. From what we could see the center shaft would go into the column some and this would not allow the plate to be held on by the clip.
We think it might have been easier or a one man operation to get the proper tool that compresses the locking plate down but at the time we didn't have it and we did what we had to do. We just had to see what was happening and then once we saw what the problem was, both of us worked on it at the same time and got it back together.
Jim

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a plan, I don't have the proper tool that compresses it and since my nova is my daily driver, me and my dad will hit that up in the morning I'll tell ya how it goes.

Thanks Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts