Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the blown up diagrams of the column assembly but some actual pics may be more helpful, if anyone has them handy. In particular, I am trying to install the ignition switch rod which, when I took it apart, had two spring type components just pop out, so I'm not sure how to reinstall. Also, not exactly sure how the ignition warning buzzer piece goes.

Another question....with the lock cylinder installed all by itself, am I supposed to get any spring type "return" action as if I were to turn the key to start the car and have it return back to the "run" position? Currently it turns freely each way and does not spring back to the off position.

thanks for the help. here are the parts in question...

Wondering how the bronze gear rod gets installed as far as locating it in relation to the lock cylinder gear. (Does it need to engage certain teeth)?

It's weird, all these components came from this column. When I line up the lock cylinder gear which is attached to the long rod, the 90 degree angled rod end does not align with the ignition switch, its 90 degrees off (bent end is parallel with ignition switch --- wants to be perpendicular to enter the switch) I must be doing something wrong, or just tired.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Jay I know a guy here in San Jose, Ca that rebuilds steering columns. Let me find his ph# or get his email and you can send him what you got.

·
Registered
49 Posts
google Jim Shea he has a bunch of steering column [tilt/non tilt] info posted online

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay I know a guy here in San Jose, Ca that rebuilds steering columns. Let me find his ph# or get his email and you can send him what you got.
Were you able to track down that fellow? I could really use some help with these few parts. Also, with the lock cylinder installed alone, is it supposed to have any spring / return type action? Currently, my lock does not spring back to its original position. thx.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a donor column and got the missing pieces that I need. Also, I took a snapshot of each component as I removed it from the column. When I get some time I will post the whole photo progression or if someone needs something in particular, just give me a shout. I got the whole thing back together nicely and the key moved to the lock position and wheel locked good. Then this morning I was just turning the key and something was binding up and not getting me back to off position. Furthermore, the steering lock shaft would not come out all the way and engage the toothed plate. Looks like I'll have to pull it apart again. I used lithium grease on the components. Any other ideas on lubrication to keep the gear rod actuator from binding up? Another lubricant product perhaps? Should I really douse the heck out of it or a light spray?

sample pic of donor column disassembly...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts