Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting for a couple of months for a steering column for my 70 model. i have gone to floor shift and need a replacement w/o column shift.. if anyone has any ideas or knows somewhere to look i would really appreciate the info. it needs to be keyed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try finding junkyards basically. A direct fit would be a 69-74 Nova, or the Olds Omega, Pontiac Ventura, or Buick Apollo. You could also look at 69 Camaros. I believe you can use a Chevelle column if you swap the center shaft over.
I have worn the letters off my keyboard for 3-4 months.. found 1 column shift but i need one that is not column shift. i know you used to could get a column shell and change them out buy those are also non existent anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been hunting for a couple of months for a steering column for my 70 model. i have gone to floor shift and need a replacement w/o column shift.. if anyone has any ideas or knows somewhere to look i would really appreciate the info. it needs to be keyed
I have scoured all the salvage yards i can find on the internet and local.. no luck. I am hoping w/ all the nova fanatics on here some one might find me some luck.. this car is a total nut and bolt build... all i have left is putting in my interior from Speedway, mounting the 9 inch from Quick performance, drive shaft from Inland Marine and that stinking steering column.. i have a column shift but it is total trash and i can't find a good rebuilder...

·
Registered
1972 Nova
330 Posts
What about a Flaming River or Ididit column?
This is from a local-to-me vender that is known all around the country for glass, LS-swap parts, and brakes.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The problem (to me at least) w/ the aftermarket keyed columns is the key switch. Their key is not a mechanical tumbler that controls a mechanical ign switch. Instead it is an electronic switch that seems like a momentary switch and has the feeling of a wet noodle. There is not much of a spring-back. I don't know that my description makes much sense but there is no "notchiness" like we are used to.
When a key-in-column is required I'd always rebuild an OEM unit. I've removed and filled the shifter boss from several columns. It's not much work and not detectable.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Try finding junkyards basically. A direct fit would be a 69-74 Nova, or the Olds Omega, Pontiac Ventura, or Buick Apollo. You could also look at 69 Camaros. I believe you can use a Chevelle column if you swap the center shaft over.
So will '74-81 Camaro/Firebird, and they are all no-column shift and readily available....you just have to modify and shorten the shaft on the engine bay side of it, as those are all front steering box location. Not a hard thing to do if you have any fab skills and a stock Nova column to rob the correct steering box rag joint bolt flange off of. Does require welding.

You could probably tear both columns apart and just change shafts, but I've never done it that way. Easier for me to just cut and weld, it's undetectable afterwards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So will '74-81 Camaro/Firebird, and they are all no-column shift and readily available....you just have to modify and shorten the shaft on the engine bay side of it, as those are all front steering box location. Not a hard thing to do if you have any fab skills and a stock Nova column to rob the correct steering box rag joint bolt flange off of. Does require welding.

You could probably tear both columns apart and just change shafts, but I've never done it that way. Easier for me to just cut and weld, it's undetectable afterwards
Thanks... i will get back with you soon. Respiratory therapist kinda of "busy" right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts