Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Nova people. can someone post a copy of the steering column breakdown from the assembly manual on a first gen, please? My '65 3 on the tree column just locked up out of the blue, and I have my manual packed up. I need to know if there is a way of rebuilding the column. I am currently checking with a member to see if he has a replacement column for now.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If the shift linkage is locked up like it is stuck in 2 gears, go under the hood and grab the shift arms and give them a good pull and shake. It should pop back out and allow you to shift it. That won't repair anything but will allow you to get it going again and it may not lock up again for a long time. I had a 50 Chevy that did that for years and would just get stuck once every few months. It always happened between the 1/2 shift.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
^^^ + 989,568,245,145,258,98,675,215 :yes: :D

when you have time take a real good look at the bushings in the linkage. if they get too loose they can jamb up. also if it's really grimey/gritty etc, clean that with some brake klean or something. ;)

he nailed it though... grab the linkage (watch your knuckles) and manually shift/UNshift the linkage... sometimes it can be done at/on tranny too if needed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was able to shift by grabbing the arms in engine bay. it's the first time this has happened, and car was stuck in 3rd gear but lever was in neutral. Linkage is clean, so I might use some 3 in 1 oil to lube it up a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts