Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of switching to manual steering box would I just need the pitman arm and box with the long steering shaft answers greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Thinking of switching to manual steering box would I just need the pitman arm and box with the long steering shaft answers greatly appreciated thanks!
Pitman arm and rag joint. I had everything new to switch to power steering, but sold it all, sold my original box and kept my quick ratio manual box I bought off of Ebay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah trying to gain a little clearence with headers bought the headman huslers but it’s hitting steering box kinda bad I dented the primary in pretty good and still grabbing box

Pitman arm and rag joint. I had everything new to switch to power steering, but sold it all, sold my original box and kept my quick ratio manual box I bought off of Ebay.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah trying to gain a little clearence with headers bought the headman huslers but it’s hitting steering box kinda bad I dented the primary in pretty good and still grabbing box
I'd just bash the headers some more. lot cheaper than buying a whole new box and it doesnt do much to the airflow...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah just found out the aren’t gonna work they hit the idler arm and can only run the car one way
I'd just bash the headers some more. lot cheaper than buying a whole new box and it doesnt do much to the airflow...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You need the idler arm, too.
There are at least two, and I believe three, different lengths. If you mis-match the idler and pitman arm, you'll get screwy steering geometry.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
ThatÂ’s gonna change the idler from hitting my primary ?
No. But if you convert to manual, you need an idler that matches the pitman arm.

The only thing that's going to keep the idler from hitting those headers is to throw the headers away, or move the steering components somewhere else - like the trunk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahahaha yeah I know I just hear there’s little better clearence with that manual steering box and stuff. And looking at some super comps and gonna change all the steering to manual
ThatÂ’s gonna change the idler from hitting my primary ?
No. But if you convert to manual, you need an idler that matches the pitman arm.

The only thing that's going to keep the idler from hitting those headers is to throw the headers away, or move the steering components somewhere else - like the trunk.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
:D
I have a complete manual steering setup in my stash of parts. It's used ('68 4-door), and a slow-ratio box, but complete.
I plan to use it on the next project. But if you're still in this pickle in about 8-9 months, send me a PM if you're interested. By then, I should have made up my mind about what I'm using. (There's also a power steering box, and a manual box from a '76 pickup.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts