Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to replace my factory steering box with a mid 80s Camaro one.

My questions are:
Do all mid 80s Camaros have the same ratio box or are Z28s different?
What year Camaros are ideal for there steering box?
Does anyone sell fittings to screw into the Camaro box since it is metric so I can use my factory power steering lines and if so whom?

Thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys exactly what I was wanting info wise.

This is why this site is awesome...:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One more question:

Are the Jeep boxes smaller or bigger than the factory steering box?:confused:

Also, does the factory rag joint fit or do I need to get a differant one on this conversion?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know the answers? I just want to be sure of what I need before I buy the box.

·
Registered
577 Posts
They are all saginaw type steering boxes. The differences are the internal ratios (most are 12.7:1), steering input effort and the internal steering stops which determine the total travel. Externally they will all mount up the same, but the differences between each are internal and that will determine which one you ultimately choose. Any of the quick ratio boxes would make a great deal of difference over the factory box in the car now. The performance G-bodies (Monte SS/ GN/ 442) have steering stops that work better with the steering systems on novas, although others would work nearly as well.

Dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Jeep requires a different rag joint, 30 spline I think. Some Chevy trucks have them but I forget the years. Box is the same size. Suppose to have a nice feeling steering effort and internal stops suited for Nova's.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
If I owned a 3rd gen it would get one of the new Delphi steering gears. 14:1 and 12.7:1 ratios available, built to be a bolt in, no adaptors needed and a lot smaller in size then the older GM gears. price is around $340 depending on vendor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I owned a 3rd gen it would get one of the new Delphi steering gears. 14:1 and 12.7:1 ratios available, built to be a bolt in, no adaptors needed and a lot smaller in size then the older GM gears. price is around $340 depending on vendor.

Where can I get one of these Delphi units that just bolt in without modifications.:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts