Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to install my rotors and have a couple questions:

1. Are there actual torque specs on the two bolts that connect the steering arm to the spindle and also the single, upper large bolt that attaches the backing plate to the spindle? I can not find any info in my manuals but have them on real nice and tight.

2. Have a bearing packer and am going to install them and the assembly according to the guidelines in my manuals and also the best of, where several people mentioned installing the nut until the rotor stops spinning....do this a couple times to seat the bearings and then back the nut out to get the cotter pin in. Other than the bearings themselves, does anything else get grease? I can not imagine that that entire interior section of the rotor needs any grease because its basically just a cavity. Just thought I'd ask so I get this right the first time. thanks

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added this pic. At the risk of looking like a complete idiot, I wonder if I installed the seal right side up, because I notice a gap between the rubber part of the seal and the bearing. If I screwed it up, so be it.

I will blow out those paint scrapings, or more likely pick them up with some tape, before I button this up.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
1. Are there actual torque specs on the two bolts that connect the steering arm to the spindle and also the single, upper large bolt that attaches the backing plate to the spindle? I can not find any info in my manuals but have them on real nice and tight.

115lbs Or as I do pull on it till you fart.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
you have the seal in correctly. fill the cavity with grease, or as the grease in the bearings gets hot it will run into the cavity if its not full of grease and away from the bearings, put some in the dust cap too for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Took a careful look and was able to get my grease seals down to where they belong, nice and level, and the seal met the bearing. Added some grease inside the cavity, I'd say they are about 80% filled. thanks. I didn't fill it all the way as of yet. Was hoping to get several opinions. I actually had a local guy say he added a little to the spindle but didn't fill it up with grease. As with everything I am not sure about, I obtain several opinions, filter them, then make a decision.

Not sure what grease in the dust cap will do since that washer type part behind the nut seems that it will keep most of the grease contained behind it.

I got the nut down to where the rotor slowed down then left the garage to do other things. Will let that settle in, back it up tighten it down and finish her up.

Also got most of my front end suspension parts torqued to spec. Usually I get everything snugged up, then go back and do all my torquing later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts