Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '62 Chevy II w/four lug wheels. I have read on the net that my steering bushings will wear out FAST and that there are some new bearing/bushing kits for '63-67 front ends that are available that can prevent premature wear? One block from me there is a '66 or '67 Chevy II parts car w/five lug suspension that I can purchase cheap. Should I update my steering/suspension with these newer parts to use the available bearing kits and will they bolt into my car? Also, will the axle off this doner car fit into my '62? I would like to go from 4-lug to 5. Thanks, any help would be appreciated....Bob.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Bob,

First of all, welcome to the site.

If you can get that car for a good price, that would be the way to go. The rear is a bolt-in. That's the way I went with my 63.

As well, you can swap the spindles from the parts car down the road as well, which will give you the 5 bolt hubs that you want. While at it, you may want to get swap the lower control arms as well since the steering stops are different, which will give you a large turning radius if you keep the 62's and convert to discs up front. People have also cut some of the material off of the steering stops on the 62/63 lower control arms to better the turning radius as well.

The 62 idler arm, pitman arm, and tie-rods are unique for that year, while the 63-67 are interchangeable.

If it were me, I'd pull the lower arms, pitman arm, idler arm and spindles from the parts car and box in the lower arms, replace the bushings the bushings (upper and lower), balljoints, tie-rods, get an idler arm bearing conversion kit for the 66/67 idler arm, as well as a lockout kit for the lower control arms. Then everything would be like new and you wouldn't have to worry about the front end for a considerable amount of time. There was a post not too long ago that discussed boxing in lower arms. You can do a search on that if interested, or send me a message and I can email you a picture or two.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the welcome. I will do all you said, however, what is a "lockout kit" for the lower controll arms....?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Early NOvas are known to lose their alignment. At the top end of the lower control arm is an ecentric bolt to adjust the alignment. The lock-out is to prevent this from moving on its own...which is a common problem.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Bob,
Here is a link to Global West. Just go to Nova62-67 (obviously) and it the the first item listed. Unfortunately there are no pictures but it gives a good description on what the lockout kit is;
http://www.globalwest.net/

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts