Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to make a new post to show those who are interested the goodmark steel cowl and how I welded it to a stock hood. I posted these pics on another thread about 2 years ago.

This is the fit out of the box

Fitting to the hood

After cutting and relief cut to fit the contour of the hood

On the car

These are old pics. I didn't take any after I welded it to the hood or after it I shot it in epoxy primer. I went through a divorce in 2008, so the car sat. Good news is the divorce is over, I kept my cars, and I will take some pics of it in primer on the car the way it sits now tomorrow.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for making this a sticky!! :D

69Proof, I'll get the new pics up soon. The pics above don't show the hole I cut in the underside of the hood for the airfilter or how I addressed the opening in the back of the cowl. The pics I post will show this. I also intend to make the hood functional using the cakepan air cleaner method.
As a side note, I chose to move the cowl further back on the hood. Some of you may want to move it farther forward, so your front to back measurements will be different.

At any rate, I am a novice bodyman. Anyone with decent welding skills should be able to weld one on a hood.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it took so long to get these posted. The date is wrong in pics. Didn't set it......:eek:

Here's the hood in epoxy primer

The back of the cowl. I welded a piece that I cut off and used a 1" hole saw to make holes.

The hole I cut for the air cleaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
looks good

I like the way it looks this is great now i have a new project for my 79 and i know what it will look like when I'm done

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey Zoom, good work! I like the idea of using a steel cowl versus a fiberglass cowl on a steel hood. There shouldn't be any issues with filler or fiberglass cracking over time due to the steel and fiberglass expanding and contracting with heat at different rates.

To Mikes79nova, Cool name by the way :yes: Do you have any pics of your 79?

·
Registered
68 Posts
When you welded the scoop on, did you leave the flat flange or more or less butt weld to the vertical portion of the scoop?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I was wondering. Thanks for bringing it up.
I welded the flange to the hood. I will be making another hood at some point because this one is now on my son's 78. When I do the next one, I'm going to trace the flange on the hood, cut hood, and butt weld. It will much cleaner and less filler will be used making the hood lighter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great job on the hood scoop

I opted for a fiberglass hood with a 2"scoop since I could not find a steel one to fit the fourth gen cars. I do like it, but doing what you did seems to work and look great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts