Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have anything yet but a guy close by me has a set of rebuilt 416s that have been glass beaded with new valves springs and retainers installed that he would let go for 125 bucks.

is this a good deal on a set of rebuilt 1.85 4 barrel heads?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
umm

the compression would really help you to be able to put a healthy cam in it and not make it be so weak at low rpms ,, a bigger cam would not make as much cylinder pressure so they cancel themselves somewhat

what kind of gear are you planning on ??

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the compression would really help you to be able to put a healthy cam in it and not make it be so weak at low rpms ,, a bigger cam would not make as much cylinder pressure so they cancel themselves somewhat

what kind of gear are you planning on ??
gear??? like gearing? I was thinking 373s those would be nice and i can still somewhat have a driver...

·
Registered
733 Posts
The 416 castin head was from the 80's.It came on HO model 305's.(RPO L69)

There decent heads.Nothing to special they do have the small combustion chambers and flow OK for what they are.

I would offer the guy 100 bucks and see if he bites.

BTW I hopped up the 307 in my 69 truck.I used a performer RPM intake,HEI,Comp cams 270h cam,1406 carb and daul exhaust.It ran pretty good.Believe it or not I raced a 2500HD with the 8.1 big block.And I beat him!We raced again and he beat me.Not by much though.:D

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
my buddies 307

my friends 307 started in a 66 chevelle and ended up in a Vega , it punished some 350's that it shouldn't had so it was still fun for him. Gotta wonder how it would have done with some compression though.

Those 305 heads are not known for very good exhaust ports. I even remember a build of a 305 that they put 307 heads on it. So think about that one a lil bit. The 283 domed piston/400 rod combo with the 307 heads might out run the 305 head /flat piston combo

speculations make for juicy conversations

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my friends 307 started in a 66 chevelle and ended up in a Vega , it punished some 350's that it shouldn't had so it was still fun for him. Gotta wonder how it would have done with some compression though.

Those 305 heads are not known for very good exhaust ports. I even remember a build of a 305 that they put 307 heads on it. So think about that one a lil bit. The 283 domed piston/400 rod combo with the 307 heads might out run the 305 head /flat piston combo

speculations make for juicy conversations
well..Its not like i wouldn't want to build a 400 hp pavement pounding sbc 307. The problem for me is always money..I work a min wage job and i only work 25 hours a week. so the cheaper the better for me.

If i got 300-310 hp and matched tq out of this 307 I would be happy as a clam (for awhile :devil:)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Even, nice project car- I really dig the old school 5 slot wheels!

Is the 307 your buiding the one that came with the car? Have you pulled the engine already or is it still in the car and running? Your goal of 300-310hp/torque is so easily doable with a 350 that I wouldn't even consider starting with a 307. Using the 400 rod/283domed piston is cost prohibitive if you factor in the required balancing. In this area 350's are a dime a dozen and if you look around a little you can usually find one for free. If your car is running right now with that 307 I would seriously recomend you look around for a builder 350 and when it's done a ready for install just swap it out and sell off that running 307.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
if it has some compression ,, you might look at something like this

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1959&gid=280

eh ,, just my .02 ,, i had a friend that built a 307 once ,, low compression hurt it ,, they didn't have heads back then available with 50cc like those Darts
That is way too big!:eek: Especially since, isn't this going to be his ONLY transportation in November or August or whenever?;) Might cool it on the cam:D Those 305 heads can still be very fun and drivable. Some ported(exhaust ports, then polish the exhaust valve...) 305 heads should go well with a comp XE262 or similar cam. And I may know where you can pick up some +.060" "Perfect Circle" cast aluminum pistons if you want them:D

Your goal of 300-310hp/torque is so easily doable with a 350 that I wouldn't even consider starting with a 307.
Blah blah blah:devil::D

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
With stock type head flow on a .030 over 307 with a Lunati Voodoo 268 cam, Performer intake, and a 600 carb with 10:1 compression, desk top dyno says 363hp @5500 and 400lb-ft @ 4000. Even if this was off by as much as 10%, it'd still be a nice snappy engine. Pick up the 305HO heads, and if you feel like it have a little grinding done in them and have at it.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
have saw bigger

That is way too big!:eek: Especially since, isn't this going to be his ONLY transportation in November or August or whenever?;) Might cool it on the cam:D Those 305 heads can still be very fun and drivable. Some ported(exhaust ports, then polish the exhaust valve...) 305 heads should go well with a comp XE262 or similar cam. And I may know where you can pick up some "Perfect Circle" cast aluminum pistons if you want them:D

Blah blah blah:devil::D
eh ,, you wouldn't believe how well my friends 287 ran without much compression with a solid cam 254 @ 050 on a 108 LSA ,, with those 50cc Darts ,a 307 with a flat piston should have a lil over 11-1 comp. Sooooo

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
eh ,, you wouldn't believe how well my friends 287 ran without much compression with a solid cam 254 @ 050 on a 108 LSA ,, with those 50cc Darts ,a 307 with a flat piston should have a lil over 11-1 comp. Sooooo
I am not saying it wouldn't run... I am saying it would not be wise for something to be driven every day, especially since gas is going back up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts