Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just installed a new engine and transmission this weekend complete with electric fans and msd ignition. This being said the car will not shut off now when the key is turned off. I have the fans run to the ign spot on the fuse block under the dash. And the msd is wired properly. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Check and make sure that the power supply to the starter and the power supply to the starter solenoid are not touching, that would keep the bendix engaged. They will slip around sometimes if you dont pay attention while tightening.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You may need to place a diode across terminals 85 and 86 on your fan relay or ignition relay. The field created by the coil in the relay causes the ignition to remain energized in some cases.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah if you get a chance check out madenterprise.com I think is the proper web address. They have a ton of really great wiring schematics for relays and information in general regarding electronics and electrical systems for our era of Nova's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently with the msd my dummy lights for the alternator is holding enough charge to keep the msd running. So now I need a 1 amp 100 volt diode to fix the situation.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
If you bought a new msd box, there should be a diode in the parts bag. I had the same issue with my car. Easy fix.

ray

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
My 71 I didn't have to put the diode, but my 72 I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts