Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 1974 Nova, he has an intermittent starting issue. The solenoid always clicks and sound like its engaging but the starter won't turn, we have tried several different new starters, even a new hi torq starter. Still no luck, if he jumps the solenoid with a screwdriver it starts and after doing this it sometimes starts with the key. We thought we might have a ground issue because he the shifter cable was burnt up so he added several grounds still no luck.

He also has changed the ignition switch, battery cables and Battery.

This car has the seat belt system on it and the relay box under the hood is missing, not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
If it starts every time you jump it with a screwdriver you have a problem in the wiring to the solenoid. The cheapest and easiest fix is to add a Bosch relay to the circuit, essentially a remote controlled 'screwdriver' that applies full voltage to the solenoid.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi what is it you are grounding your cables to? If they are bolted to painted surfaces clean the paint off them good and try that especially the battery ground. Where is that connected to on the block. Grounding to an aluminum bracket or head can cause it also. If you are using a stock side terminal battery the rubber coating on the terminal head melts and connection is lost. good luck! Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has ran new Battery terminals, to the starter, negative to the fender, and block near the fuel pump, (also tried the chrome alternator bracket). Then he ran two from the back of the heads to the firewall, and even ran one from the starter to the frame and the area's were clean and free of paint.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Has he tried adding a $10 relay to the circuit?

If the motor starts when you jump the starter, your grounds are sufficient in that area.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I just went through this same scenario , I found that I had severe voltage drop to the start side of the solenoid , it had 6 - 8v enough to make the solenoid click but not engage , I ran new wiring and eliminated a connector in the process , it works great now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts