Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im starting a 63 nova drag car and i want to know how much tub chassis are and if i should go with a tub chassis or a mustang 2 and back halfed nova ? also is it hard to install a back half kit or a 4 link rear end. im 17 so i dont have alot of money so i need the most economical ways to go NEED HELP thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my goal et is between 10 and 12 and im not sure wat class, im brand new to drag racing and i really want top start so all the information you got will help me lol, but ideally i want to run like 10.50

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 72 nova with caltracs and no minitub and i run 10.30 all day long....The cheap way to go..I would put the money in the drivetrain , engine ,trans ,rear .....My 2 cents :)

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
well my goal et is between 10 and 12 and im not sure wat class, im brand new to drag racing and i really want top start so all the information you got will help me lol, but ideally i want to run like 10.50
Then you really don't need to cut up your car and spend the money on sub-frames/back half components. I would invest in the drive train and appropriate safety equipment and components.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think the first question I would have is. What do you have to start with? I know what it is like to be young and build race cars, I am 23 now, was 14-15 when I picked up my Nova and have been doing this ever since. Is the car in good shape? What engine parts do you have etc?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 72 nova with caltracs and no minitub and i run 10.30 all day long....The cheap way to go..I would put the money in the drivetrain , engine ,trans ,rear .....My 2 cents :)
ok thats reassuring so wat do u think i should do to the drivetrain

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then you really don't need to cut up your car and spend the money on sub-frames/back half components. I would invest in the drive train and appropriate safety equipment and components.
wat would be good to do to the drivetrain and wat kind of safety components, do u mean like roll cage and wat else?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the first question I would have is. What do you have to start with? I know what it is like to be young and build race cars, I am 23 now, was 14-15 when I picked up my Nova and have been doing this ever since. Is the car in good shape? What engine parts do you have etc?
well im starting with a solid 63 chevy nova with everything original except it doesnt have an engine or tranny, but everything is original and rust free but the back end like the bumper and the area of metal around it is a little rusty and has a dent

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
ok if you have never drag raced before i would go check that out at www.nhra.com this gives you a lot of rules and safety info that you will need as for building the car i will tell you this the faster you go the more expensive it gets not just parts but safety equipment. in your senario i would start out with the basics like engine , trans , rearend . first i have some questions for you ?

1). do you want to still be able to drive this on the street ? if so that gives you little to work with
2). i hope this is not your daily driver ? if so you are very limited but it can be done.
3). have you ever been down the 1320 @ 120 - 150 mphs ? it comes up fast

but as for asking the right questions your on the right site to get the right answers please ask away i and im sure most of us on here will guid you in the right direction :yes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks i need answers lol
but no this will not be a daily driver but yes i would like to drive it on the street but i dont care about restrictions such as noise and all that other crap i just mostly want to run it on the track and i have sat in on a race down at like 120 mph so much fun, a little nerve racking since i didnt have control, but please tell me wat i should do i just want to be able to race and drive it on the street once or twice a month

·
Registered
197 Posts
what do the caltracs do exactly and wat should i do with the front clip
Caltracts are like a slapper bar for the rear sup. They are more adjustable and do a great job of controlling the rear sup. The front I would leave alone unless it's in need of new parts. If it's unsafe then I would consider upgrading to a after market front sub frame.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
do you have the tools and skill necessary to do this? do you have friends who own shops or have anybody in the auto business that can guide you? Starting off with no guidance is tough. I'd get away from the ricer/import crowd and get in with true gearhead/old school musclecar/street racer crowds. They wlll help you along the way. Are you gonna do all the work yourself? this is where you need the tooling and guidance. I built my car pretty much by myself from the age of 16 but took me 8 years with help from friends and a good friend of mine his dad built cars in his garage so I worked for him. I also went to a automotive trade school to learn engines. Take lots of pictures too!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i plan on doing most of the work myself but my friend has a welding business, my friends dad is the vice president of edelbrock, my friends grandpa builds muscle cars and so does another one of my friends dads and another friends dad own an auto shop

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my nova when i has 14 and now 18 and I have dumped thousands into her and it only goes 15.4 :mad: lol Just remember. PARTS ADD UP FAST!
damn no way well i have a so to say prototype one of the guys i met on here has a model of wat my car is going to be and he only put in like 8000

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats wat i plan on doing cause my shock towers and the parts are worn so i want to go with a mustang 2 cause i would be paying almost 3/4 of the price to replace the parts

1 - 20 of 97 Posts