Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 stock 350 SBC I need a starter what should I get? Links to specific sights appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
A heavyduty truck starter from any store for a 350 truck same year as your car, these will last with headers, regular starts will fry.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A heavyduty truck starter from any store for a 350 truck same year as your car, these will last with headers, regular starts will fry.
I just added headers too and I wasnt going to change the starter but I had to bang it to get it to start so I decided while the the headers where off I would change it. Any part numbers. Or I was thinking about one of the mini hi torque starters from Summit but I was unsure which one to get.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
they won't fry if you use starter heat wrap.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well go to the nearest parts store and ask for a 1977 3/4 ton heavy duty chevy truck starter for a 350 , if they have it should be $30-$50, and yes wrap will work good if you can get it to stay.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Here's what I use and would suggest for you:

The part number is 9000852. It's also the starter supplied with GM crate engines including the 502 big block. It lists for about $290 at your local GM dealership parts department. Online places like GMPartsDirect.com sell it for about $215 but I was able to find a new, unused one on eBay.com for $75. It's a beautiful part that is almost half the weight of a standard starter (12-lbs vs 22-lbs).

Standard vs mini:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what I use and would suggest for you:

The part number is 9000852. It's also the starter supplied with GM crate engines including the 502 big block. It lists for about $290 at your local GM dealership parts department. Online places like GMPartsDirect.com sell it for about $215 but I was able to find a new, unused one on eBay.com for $75. It's a beautiful part that is almost half the weight of a standard starter (12-lbs vs 22-lbs).

Standard vs mini:
I cant find one for under $216.00 and Im gonna assume you probably got the only one on ebay for $75 :). Money is definitely an issue. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I cant find one for under $216.00 and Im gonna assume you probably got the only one on ebay for $75 :). Money is definitely an issue. Any other ideas?
What are you searching on? Search on "9000852". I've seen them for under $100 a few months ago.

Howdy Scott! :)
Howdy David! Still on the crackwhore listserv?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you searching on? Search on "9000852". I've seen them for under $100 a few months ago.

Howdy David! Still on the crackwhore listserv?

I did a google search and I searched ebay. I only found 2 sites that had it one was 216 the other was 260. If you can find one for 100 and send me the link I would be eternally grateful :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I buy all my startes for a 96-2000 Chevy truck when i use a 168 flexplate, They are light, and they even sound sweet while cranking. Its best if you can get Factorty start bolts for 96-2000 Chevy with a 5.7

Now, if you want to run the small, 153 flexplate, get a starter for a 93-95 Fleetwood caddy, or LT1 B body car. Impalla, Buick Roadmaster, RWD Fleetwood

I have one on every Small block i build.

$125 for lifetime warrenty from Napa, not bad and local if you ever have a problem. I dont like to buy from Ebay because ALL startes will fail eventualy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
so when you have a problem what are you going to do? send it back...and wait?

its worth the extra $10 even if you have to get from the Zone, or Checker or whatever so IF it takes a dump on you you can fix it the same day.

Sorry dude, i like to suport my local store the best i can, but i understand eveyone wants to save a buck.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
$125 for lifetime warrenty from Napa, not bad and local if you ever have a problem. I dont like to buy from Ebay because ALL startes will fail eventualy.
That's probably a reman starter. I've got 4.5 years and going on a NEW $75 starter from eBay.

I saw those but I was looking for the original gm part that you listed, but if those work then great I will get one of those...Thanks
It's the same starter just with their part number.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I buy all my startes for a 96-2000 Chevy truck when i use a 168 flexplate, They are light, and they even sound sweet while cranking. Its best if you can get Factorty start bolts for 96-2000 Chevy with a 5.7

Now, if you want to run the small, 153 flexplate, get a starter for a 93-95 Fleetwood caddy, or LT1 B body car. Impalla, Buick Roadmaster, RWD Fleetwood

I have one on every Small block i build.

Ok part of your post was in Japanese ;) I do like the idea of getting it local. I need to know what to get that is a direct bolt on, I am not a mechanic nor do I pretend to be. Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts