Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been ask before but I could not find the answer. My 72 has 3 wires to the starter from the factory. What is the r terminal for? Does this go to the coil? I am using an msd box and was wondering if this wire will still be used? I know what the main solenoid stud and s terminal are for but was wondering about the r terminal. I also know about removing the resistor wire for the msd hook up. Someone please help.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
are you using an hei?

I think the r wire is to restrict the amount of power going to points distributors at startup

I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
are you using an hei?

I think the r wire is to restrict the amount of power going to points distributors at startup

I could be wrong.
I don't remember how the terminal is marked but what you are refering to actually gives the points distributor full voltage while cranking, not reduced voltage. The resistor wire actually gives the points type distributor reduced voltage once the starter is released and the motor is running.

Edit. It is the R terminal and is the one on the starter solenoid that is fartherest form the block.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The old style solenoids have three terminals. The big one is obvious. One small terminal comes from the ignition switch and turns the solenoid on so it will start the car. The other goes to the coil to provide a full 12 volts to the points while cranking

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I figured it out. I unhooked the "r" and "s" terminal wires and the "r" wire was hot with the key on and "s" was hot in the crank position. I ran the "r" terminal wire to my msd box to switch it on when key is on. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts