Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my starter wires on my 62 sedan. I had a purple wire going to one post on the original 6 cylinder starter and a black wire with looks like white covering and red lines on it going to the other terminal on my starter. Now I installed my 350 in it and my new starter only has one small terminal. Do I put both of those wires on the same post?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I see you are still working on your 62. If I remember right one of the wires( uselly the purple one) going to the starter connects to the s post. It will be hot only when the ignition switch is in the start posision. The other wire runs to the coil to feed the coil 12 vlts while in the start position. This wire can be elimated in your case. When you run your new wire to the hei (to elimate the resistor) you will have to be sure it has 12vlts when the iginition switch is in the run and start position. I think this is correct but if not I'm sure someone on here will chime in and let us know. They seem to enjoy doing that. Good luck with the rest of your wiring.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see you are still working on your 62. If I remember right one of the wires( uselly the purple one) going to the starter connects to the s post. It will be hot only when the ignition switch is in the start posision. The other wire runs to the coil to feed the coil 12 vlts while in the start position. This wire can be elimated in your case. When you run your new wire to the hei (to elimate the resistor) you will have to be sure it has 12vlts when the iginition switch is in the run and start position. I think this is correct but if not I'm sure someone on here will chime in and let us know. They seem to enjoy doing that. Good luck with the rest of your wiring.
Sounds right to me. I will triple check my factory wiring diagram too. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hei

If you are running an HEI or I high output coil, then they need 12 volts so you want to eliminate the resistor wire or ballast resistor (that ceramic thing between the battery and the coil). If you are running a standard coil, you need those things because they operate at 8 volt normal, but 12 volts for starting.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are running an HEI or I high output coil, then they need 12 volts so you want to eliminate the resistor wire or ballast resistor (that ceramic thing between the battery and the coil). If you are running a standard coil, you need those things because they operate at 8 volt normal, but 12 volts for starting.
I'm running small cap hei with stock camaro external coil. All I've seen is one wire going to the coil to a hot at all times and while cranking. I will double check it. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts