Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd auto zone starter here wolnt disengauge fly wheel until it starts I have 3 shims in it what am I doing
wrong. It's on my 74 camaro with 350

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5 shims still doing it. Uuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhh it's really starting to piss me off

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
old starter didn't do that??

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
autozone is whats wrong, some stores just dont sell anything good, i replaced a starter 4 times before i found a good one at a different parts store. Got real good and fast R&R'in starters!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with the last post. I've had the same issues with Autozone starters. You'd think they'd be the same as anybody elses starters but Autozone starters always seem to need a ridiculous amount of shims. I'm guessing it a Chinese machining problem. Maybe the bolt holes are drilled ever so slightly off, it wouldn't take much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2nd auto zone starter here wolnt disengauge fly wheel until it starts I have 3 shims in it what am I doing
wrong. It's on my 74 camaro with 350
I havent had any luck with Advance or AutoZone starter either but you may want to look at the flywheel too..you would be surprised at how little wear on a flywheel will eat a starter up. . also when shimming a starter ive found the best way to do this is to remove the solenoid so you can work the bendix by hand.. this way you can watch the gear engage with the flywheel , If it isnt mating up correctly add or remove shims..

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used many cheap auto parts store starters without ever using shims; never seen a reason to shim a starter on any of my cars. Is the ear on the block ok? I've seen plenty of blocks that were junk in that area. Another thing I always did was try and re-use the support strap that goes from the starter nose to the block.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
How and where are you putting the shims. There more too it than sticking shims under the starter straight across. Inside moves the gears apart, outside moves them closer and across adds more clearance between the two.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
i just replaced the starter on my nova with a vatozone one. works fine for me

and its lifetime warrantied

it also makes my engine sound like a honda when its starting :D

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I put a autozone starter on my truck ....didnt last 9 days JUNK!!!!!!!! Call Hart auto electic in Glendora,NJ and ask for Bobby. Tell him Greg sent ya.
Greg

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After 7 shims it still did it so I just dealt with it until my header install when I removed the solenoid from the new one and put it on my original one, and reinstalled the orig starter and it has been fine even since. Turns out my starting problem wasnt the starter anyways, the seatbelt interlock decides to work whenever it wants too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts