Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cranking my car up the other day and all the sudden nothing... Just a quick click from the starter and that was it... Checked all the wiring and that was solid. Then checked the battery and it came out just above 12 volts. Tried hooking my jumper box to it and all I get is the very fast clicking noise from the starter.. Took the starter off and brought it to autozone to get it tested but of course the guy didnt know what he was doing and 15 minutes later and after hooking the different wires to every possible place he could he tells me the starter is bad...Not sure how much I can trust him but what do you guys think? The starter is only a few months old. Brand new high performance starter from jegs on my zz4 engine. Of course the starter has absolutely no numbers on it for identification.. Im pretty sure the starter has gone but just trying to make sure ive checked everything before I call jegs up and ask them for a new one under warranty..

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
If it was only doing it in the car., I'd check the ignition switch and/or the neutral safety switch.... But since it is not operating correctly on the bench., I would certainly contact Jegs and ask for a replacement.......:yes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
If it was still in the car you could jumper the starter solenoid terminal to the battery terminal with a screwdriver. You could test it this way out of the car too, you just have to ground it somewhere on its case. Sometimes when starters are on the way out they can be temporarily fixed with a little persuasion from a small hammer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUICK AND FAST clicking is "normally" low voltage to the solinoid WHILE trying to start. Just cause you have 12V at the batt dont mean its getting the correct amprage to the solinoid.
The batt voltage should be over 12.6 first (12.3 is dead batt) . Then with it all hooked up you need a miniumum of 11 volts to the sol terminal. If you get less then that,theres your problem.
If you get 11 or more it is more then likly the starter

Just FYI--the testers at napa,autozone,advance orielly CANNOT tell tell you 100% if a starter or a alternator is good or bad. 8 yrs rebuilding starters and alt speaking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so after testing the solenoid for some reason had locked up in the starter got it fixed and now works fine. Also got the battery tested and its fine. But the car wont start no clicks or anything. The lights all come on and the radio does but when I turn the key nothing. No wiring was messed with in any of this and I went through it all and everything is solid. The only thing I havent tested is the ignition switch. Could that be the problem in this. How can I test to see if it is or not?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know this is a stupid question but you do have it in park don't you? With absolutely no clicking or anything, I'm thinking it's a neutral safety switch but it could be an ignition switch failure.

Your car have a tilt wheel? Those are notorious for eventually causing wires in the steering column to break, but overall that's probably unlikely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the car used to be an automatic so there is a section on the steering column that spins and it has to be in the Park position for it to start so im thinking that maybe this messed with one of the wires or something but im not sure yet how I would take this apart to check it out...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Using a Multi-meter and starting at the "S" terminal with someone tring to start the car. (make sure car cant move in case it starts "safty first") Just follow that wire into the loom till you find power. check both sides of the neutral switch, and the ing switch. When you find power, you found your problem.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
First do a voltage check by putting a voltmeter on the battery while some one try's to start it.

1. If your voltage drops to about 10.5 or 11 volts, the car should be trying to start.

2. If you voltage drops below 9 volts, the battery is either dead or needs charging. (there is also an out side chance the starter is locked up). See Para C.

3. If the battery voltage doesn't change, then either your solenoid/starter are bad or something is wrong with the neutral safety or clutch safety switch. (there is also and outside chance there is something else wrong in the wiring.) See next para B

B. Jump the solenoid and see if the starter cranks the engine. If it does, it is in the wiring. If not it is the starter and/or solenoid.

C. Apply power to the starter lug and see if it spins. You can use a piece of doubled ten gauge and jump it from the battery post on the soleniod to the starter lug. Only the starter will spin if you don't apply power to the solenoid. If the starter spins, the problem is in the wiring. If the starter doesn't spin, it is the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts