Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my starter in my 63 with a high torque model.I'm looking at the Proform 66268 from Summit.I have a 10-1 355 with headers.Heat soak problems.Timing right on.I do have the staggered mount(168 tooth flywheel).Anyone have any luck with these?Thanks guys!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the PowerMaster mini geardrive on the 383 in our Camaro and it will start hot cold or otherwise. It makes no difference. Plenty of torque and plenty dependable. I'm sure Summit is like most other wholesalers in that they bid out other companies to build their "House Brand" items. Who knows it may be a Powermaster or an MSD or who ever......in a Summit Brand box. I have also had good luck with the imported brand 75-99 dollar cheapies (Afco I believe were the last ones I bought). Again, when it comes down to it....who really knows who is making who's?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
heat soak problems can be helped by a simple 12$ addon.. a ford remote solenoid.. mounted to the firewall or somewhere not next to the headers. even if your getting a high torque starter.. a google search will identify how to hook it up.. very simple. i believe almost every single 70's to 90's fords had those on them..

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I personally have (and like better) the GM mini starter from late 90's Chevy trucks.

The part number is 9000852. It's also the starter supplied with GM crate engines including the 502 big block. It lists for about $290 at your local GM dealership parts department and online places like GMPartsDirect.com sell it for about $215 but I was able to find a new, unused one on eBay.com for $75. It's a beautiful part that is almost half the weight of a standard starter (12-lbs vs 22-lbs). Just search ebay for the part number above.

Standard vs mini:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nova Resource, Thanks for posting those pics, I didn't know those starters would work on older sbc

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yeah, they fit older small and big blocks with a 168-tooth flywheel/flexplate. They fit inside headers well and are not as sensitive to heat. They are also about 10-pounds lighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts