Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
64 SS Six, manual brakes and steering
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 SS inline 6 and I am having issues with starting. On a cold start, I sometimes have to crank the car several times before it will start. If I crank too long the ignition goes completely dead, nothing at all. If I wait a few minutes the car will turnover (not starting) for a few more tries then go dead again (turn key and nothing happens but I have power).

I do pump the pedal several times, but it seems gas is not getting to the carb. I am working on the not starting issue which I think the carburetor (1 bbl) is not getting fuel. I have to add gas directly to the carb and it will startup. Once the car is running and warmed up, the car will start with no issues at all.

So I guess I have two isses馃榾. Any suggestions? Starter solenoid? Starter and carb were rebuilt two years ago.

Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
You also may want too "check that your intake / exhaust manifolds " = "mounting BOLTS to the HEAD
are tight" . They sometimes can come loose - - and can cause some problems .

What kinda of 'distributor' are you using = stock (points) / or / HEI . . . ?

Do you know if the 'resistance wire' is still hooked up . . ? If so , check for bad wire or broken wire. . ?

Also check - - How old are those "rubber fuel hose connectors" say ; at your fuel pump or at the
fuel filter connections .
A new fuel filter and hose connections - - - - are fairly cheap insurance .

just asking ..............

jim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You also may want too "check that your intake / exhaust manifolds " = "mounting BOLTS to the HEAD

Do you know if the 'resistance wire' is still hooked up . . ? If so , check for bad wire or broken wire. . ?

Also check - - How old are those "rubber fuel hose connectors" say ; at your fuel pump or at the

jim
I鈥檓 using HEI. I think that its the float. Anyone know how to adjust on a 1bbl? I鈥榲e never done that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

jim
The car will start when I add gas directly to the carb. If it sits for a few days, that is the only way I can get it started. After it warms up it will start with no issues at all.

Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
so for your car . . . . do you have any kind of 'choke' set up , for your carb .
When I was using my stock "Mono - jet 1bbl carb" . . . . I hooked up a manual choke cable .
That made starting my 250 - 6 much better .

# 1. - - you can see the 'manual choke cable - here '
also , the ' fast idle worked good . . . . after starting , for warming up the motor .

Then at one time . . . . . the screws = between the "upper carb body & the carb base" came loose .
That could cause your carb too (maybe) suck - in air (around that connection ) . . . . . . .
Grab your carb & "shake - it" . . . . . . if those screws are loose - - - the carb should move .

Just thinking . . . .. something too check . . . .

jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts