Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a 74 Nova, 350 auto, points style distributor. I understand the wiring for the solenoid and ignition but have a question concerning hot versus ground on the solenoid terminals. I have purchased 4 different starter solenoids from Oreillys and have the same issue with each one, no start. When I disconnect the purple wire going to the S terminal and check it with a 12 volt light tester the purple wire is operating correctly with 12 volts being supplied through it, on the terminal itself with no wire on it, it shows that it is grounded. This should not be the case since the purple wire is 12 volt positive coming off the switch and safety switch am I correct in that assumption. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I started a reply to your original post with the link to a Ford starter relay but technical difficulties arose and I was unable to complete it.
Are you talking about using a Ford relay in conjunction with your local starter solenoid? Most all of these relays/solenoids are grounded by the mounting screws, so if you have it mounted on an ungrounded surface it isn't going to hit a lick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts