Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having problems with my headers heat soaking the starter. I thought I had the problem fixed until I was stranded at the gas station and had to get a push start.:eek:

I'm running the larger GM starter with a heat shield and a Ford solenoid. All parts are new and connections are OK. Battery is fully charged and load tested good. This is how I have it wired. Suggestions please.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Grounded

I know it may sound elementary, but double check, then triple check your ground. If the battery is still up front, make sure you have a ground to the block, if not get a woven one from pep boys going from the battery to the block. If your battery is in the trunk, make sure you have a solid ground to the frame. If you don't have frame connectors, or if you dont run solid motor mounts, run an 0 gauge ground up to the block.

Mini starters do rock!!!! With a good ground, even GM's high tq version will labor when they get hot. When I switch over to a mini starter (summit sells them for $175) my car never so much as hesitates to turn over, in fact it turns over like a 4 banger....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running the battery ground to the stock location on the alternator bracket. I'll run it to the block to see if it makes a difference!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I had same hot-start problem on my 47 with batt. in trunk. Did all kinds of "fixes" such as running groung from trunk to block, shield, ford solenoid in trunk, checking and retightening all connections. All to no avail. Put in small high torque starter and no further problems.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
We use to fight this problem all the time before gear drive mini starters. For reasons unknown to me even brand new GM starters would sometimes not crank a motor when hot. If I got a starter that was a good one I protected it like it was gold, especially the nose part. Some worked well, some didn't. We use to think the starter nose was the problem and figured it warped or distorted when hot so the starter couldn't engage fully when hot. If you swapped that nose part usually the starter with problems would work. I just use the drivedrive starters and be done with it. I have some ultra powerful starter now that has like 3.2 HP and a reduced gear ratio which will start anything I'll ever dream of owning.......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I remember having my 62 327 Impala get stubborn when it was hot. I think the starter could pick the most inconvinent time to go on vacation and not hot start. Had to push it more than once to get going again, luckly it was a manual trans so if it rolled 5 feet it would fire off. Finally got a battery with the most cranking amps I could find and that took care of the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts