Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting with this. Hopefully this is the reason I have water running down behind my kick panels and into my carpet every time it rains.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1376147749.369925.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1376147765.892695.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1376147774.852395.jpg
Yes those are plants growing under my cowl. Shouldn't this all be draining somewhere?

Also, there is a significant draft coming through my kick panels while driving. Is this normal? If not, where could this be coming from that needs to be sealed up? I'm guessing that's another place the water is coming in.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I think you've got bigger problems than you probably care to hear.

I'm guessing that if you pull your car apart you'll be finding significant rust and rot.

The picture below shows it all around the "mud" you see.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprisingly there is hardly any rust under all that dirt. The guy I bought the car from I think, thankfully, kept it garaged for quite a while since throwing together a paint job on it.

I'm finding out that this is a direct opening to the cowl opening, which I'm hoping is the main cause of my leaking issues. Is there any other way to seal this off from the elements than the body putty on the kick panel?
ImageUploadedByAG Free1376151334.516501.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1376151362.311584.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1376151390.845614.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Surprisingly there is hardly any rust under all that dirt. The guy I bought the car from I think, thankfully, kept it garaged for quite a while since throwing together a paint job on it.

I'm finding out that this is a direct opening to the cowl opening, which I'm hoping is the main cause of my leaking issues. Is there any other way to seal this off from the elements than the body putty on the kick panel?
View attachment 33282
View attachment 33290
View attachment 33298
I would first try resealing the kick panels. Replace the putty around the oval opening with new stuff. You should be able to find a similar putty tape in the weatherstripping isle of Home Depot or other hardware store that works pretty well. You;ll need to double or triple layer the putty tape to allow for adequate sealing. That should also take care of your wind issue too.

Then start by water testing the other various areas.

On my 3rd gen, I also get water through the door seals at the upper window/a piller interface during hard rains.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
And have a look if the water can drain correctly. I guess the hole is clogged. Look through the opening behind the kick panel, there must be a quite amount if mud there too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out everything was pretty clean, except for the floor boards, obviously. Turns out the car had rubber floors and the guy I bought it from simply laid insulation and carpet right on top of the original flooring. So now I have 4 layers of wet material. Hopefully I can make it work in the future when I redo it.

I redid the kick panel seal and got everything buttoned up. We'll see where this all ends up.

·
Registered
20,088 Posts
When I redid the body putty on the kick panel driver's side in my last 71 I got no more water in my floor boards. I went to the hardware store and bought the electrical putty and cut it into strips and it worked perfectly. After that I took a 5 gallon bucket of water and poured it as fast as I could thru the cowling without anymore leaks at all.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used Mortite weather stripping and caulking cord from Home depot. Worked perfect.
Yep, I used the same stuff I believe. Just traced it out and folded it over to get the height and thickness. It all seemed to seal up well.
The passenger side was a pain because of the heater control box.

On to the next project.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts