Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to budget, time of year, and well priorities, I have to hold back on the last piece of my puzzle which is a tranny, until maybe next spring or summer. So with my engine already being installed I wanted to know if the best way to break in my sbc is by running it at 2500 rpm’s for 20 minuets or so? It has a roller cam so no worries in that department, but any tips on how to would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,387 Posts
Your rings will not really begin to seat until you are out on the road with varying driving conditions under load.

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Repointer1, that was a very educational article. These are the key points that JE makes regarding the rest of the engine configurations that must be properly prepared and are very common mistakes often overseen:

1. Excessive rich air fuel ratios (too rich fuel tends to clean oil from the cylinder walls that is crucial for proper ring setting)

2. Break in oil should only be used for around 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just start it and get it idling. My break ins consisted of firing it up at home getting it hot and shutting it off. Starting it up at the track and driving it around to get all the fluids hot. Then pulling into the water box.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Broke In a couple engines and diffs on the chassis dyno. That’s the biggest hardest load the engine and driveline will see...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts