Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 nova with a pretty healthy small block estimated around 400 horse and th 350 trans that has a stock stall converter can't get the car to launch well I've had many different suggestions on stalls from 2400 to 3500 I was thinking somewhere in the middle like a 3000. This is going to be 99, percent street car so any input would be appreciated. Also looking into an aftermarket shifter has stock console now and has no reverse lock out I looked at the mega shifter and quicksilver from b&m anyone using these I would like to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have a 70 nova with a pretty healthy small block estimated around 400 horse and th 350 trans that has a stock stall converter can't get the car to launch well I've had many different suggestions on stalls from 2400 to 3500 I was thinking somewhere in the middle like a 3000. This is going to be 99, percent street car so any input would be appreciated. Also looking into an aftermarket shifter has stock console now and has no reverse lock out I looked at the mega shifter and quicksilver from b&m anyone using these I would like to hear your thoughts
Can't go wrong with the 3000(Hughes, TCI) stall. I run the Quicksilver and also ran one on my last 71 Nova. You will be happy with both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you notice the stall very much when you go to take off sorry probably stupid question but I haven't rode in a car with that much stall

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'm going through the same thing myself, need a higher stall speed, etc. You can either get an off the shelf unit or get a custom unit made specifically for your car. Either way, you should probably call a few companies, give them your engine specs, and see what they recommend. Then you'll have a good idea of where you should be in terms of stall speed.

From what I've gathered so far in my research, off the shelf units are pretty good, provided you get a decent quality one. The cheaper ones will slip more on the street, generate more heat, use more gas, etc. The better ones will drive almost like a stock converter until you mash it and then it'll get the RPM's up and go. It seems like this is an area where you dont want to cheap out too much.

I called several companies and they all recommended a 10" converter with varying stall speeds from 3200-3800 RPM. This was based on my specific car and engine specs though which may differ a little from your car.

My current converter sucks as well, car does not launch any good. There is no hesitation or bog from the carb or timing being off, its just not in the powerband when you take off. Only pulled 2.0 60 ft times last time out to the track which is pretty bad. Most guys with similar setups as mine are pulling at least 1.7 60 ft times with the right converter/suspension setup. So I need to upgrade myself next year.

One thing almost every company recommended was to get an external trans cooler on the car before running it with a new converter. The better ones will slip less overall, but they'll still generate heat when you mash the gas, so its a good idea to get that done beforehand. Ive been using a B&M supercooler for over 10 years and I've never had any issues with my trans. My current converter stalls around 2,000 RPM if I get on it, so it does generate additional heat over a stock converter.

Regarding the shifter, I went with the B&M Megashifter. I've been happy with it, had in the car for about 3-4 years now. Easy to operate, installs easily, you can beat on it when you shift and it works great.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I didn't notice as much as I do now that I have a 4100 stall in this 72, but this car also has a 2.73 gear for now only. I ran both a 3000 and a 3500 in my last 71 and it was my daily and only driver for years. For me the 3000 stall would be a minimum I myself would run for any performance setup.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I agree with what everyone on here has stated.

I have a 4500 Coan stall in my car with a mild SBC and a TH350 Trans.

I called Coan gave them all my cars info this is what they made me. it works great!!

Before this one i had some genaric "3500" and it would not stall over 1800 so basically a stock converter.

I also have a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter works amazing!!

I have also ran Neil Chance out of the box 3500 converter with GREAT results had one in my old drag car with a healthy 355 and pulled a best of a 1.501 60 foot time off the transbrake. [email protected] was the et

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The trans cooler is not too difficult. I'll try to take some photos of my setup later today and post them up for you, might help you more to see it visually.

Basically you just route your trans lines past the radiator out to the trans cooler. You can mount it in a variety of ways. I chose to use some metal brackets from the hardware store, drilled a few holes in the core support, and mounted it directly in front of the radiator on the passenger side where the lines run.

It's been there for 11 years now with no leaks or issues, trans never overheated or slipped, and its worked great even with a higher stall speed converter.

I used a B&M Supercooler, but there are other types/brands out there as well. I can only speak of that one since that's the only one I've ever used/installed.

It might be overkill, but getting a trans temp gauge might not be a bad idea either with running a higher stall. I'm sure if you have a cooler you'd be ok, but it'd still be nice to know for sure what your trans is doing when you're beating on it at the track or street, etc. I'm considering adding one next spring when I swap out my converter for a new one with a higher stall.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get some pics up for you later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts