Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 63 convt the rear trim for the top. from wht i'm gathering is pretty common . the trim has 2 cracks , one on each side . almost looks like it shold be there but i know its not . anyone ever have them repaired ? i have 2 sets .need one redone . any help?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yes TIG weld the thin stainless.

I have three verts and all three need that stainless repaired, very common to be broken.

I'm learning to weld thin stainless with a Eastwood 200. It looks like welding with 30 amps and a backed-up weld area and stainless MIG wire to fill with is the ticket. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
thin weld repair...

Your best bet to welding the thin stainless is to get a foot pedal to control the amps. That way you can pulse the arc on it and dip it one pulse at a time. If you weld with a constant amperage the base metal will heat up and absorb more filler metal. Pulsing with the foot pedal will allow the base metal to cool down and then you can heat it up and add another dip of metal. This will reduce the base metal from burning away as well. I would also go with excessive reinforcement that way you can sand it down and you will not see the difference and any variance in the weld will be sanded flush.
Also try using a copper backing like a mig nozzle the metal won't fuse to it.

Just trying to help...:)

Brian

·
Registered
150 Posts
thin weld repair...

Another idea if you wanted to go to the distance would be to run "Y" off your argon bottle and run a hose with steel wool on the end (to spread out the gas) and purge the weld area of oxygen and it will keep the stainless from sugaring and give you a clean weld with less cleaning up!

Brian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply guys . i will let you know how i make out with mine when done . got a buddy that is a awsome welder . does alot of stialees work so he's coming over somtime next week to take a look at it .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts