Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About my workbench…You asked for it, you got it.

I have wanted to build my dream bench for a long time and I was between cars a while back so I did just that. I made some good deals and I have some buddies in the stainless business but this is not for the faint of heart. I still have $1,100.00 tied up in this but it is worth it.

I have a tiny two car garage and needed more tool storage space so I scored a deal from my Snap-On guy on a used roll-cab. I came up with the idea to put my old bottom box and side cabinet plus my paint cabinet under a new work bench clearing space for the roll-cab.

This is the frame I built but didn’t take any pictures until after I had it powder coated so it is a little hard to see the details. A customer of mine did the powder coat for $ 85.00. The legs are 2” X 2” X 3/16” square tubing. The rails are 1” X 2” X 1/8” tubing. Note the adjustable feet and the electrical boxes. I let the boys do the welding so they are a little proud of the surface. I should ahve adjusted the feed for them.

This shows the details of the tubing fitment and the electrical boxes.

The ¼” steel vice pad is sectioned into the tubing so the top will sit flush with the frame. The gussets and tabs have 5/16” nuts welded on to bolt the plywood top down.

Speaking of the vice pad, I thought it would be handy to have an electrical outlet directly under the vice. The plywood top is 1-1/4” Sturdy-Floor and it is really solid when bolted to the frame.

Sturdy-Floor plywood sub-base installed.

Since my garage floor is not level I incorporated height adjustable legs into the design. The threaded rod is 1” ACME Thread and it is a little pricey. I scored a 6’ piece for about $75.00 but I built a couple of jack stands out of the left overs. The shocker is the nuts. They are $11.00 each and it takes 12 of them. One welded to the leg, one welded to the foot and a jamb nut. So I have about $200.00 just in adjustable feet. They are beefy though. With it bolted to the floor I can wail on stuff in the vice and the bech won't budge. Ask me about my roll bar floor plate fabrication.

We prepped the top with 80 grit on a DA before gluing it down. My golf buddy scored me the 16 Ga. Stainless for free but I tipped him a C-Note for it. He sheered and broke it to my dimensions and we tig welded the corners. When I ground off the welds and scotch brighted them I noticed a peculiar thing about the light reflection off of the stainless which gave me another idea.

My son Marcus. He has a 70 Chevelle.

My son Zach. He has a 67 Chevy II post car.

I thought the B.F.V. 8” Wilton was cool but this takes the cake. I scaled up a Chevrolet Bowtie and taped it off with masking tape. Using a red scotch bright pad and moving only in one direction, we created microscopic scratches in the surface of the stainless. Since these scratches are in only one direction, the image is very pronounced from certain angles while nearly invisible from others.

I store long stuff like 4' levels and such on the shelf.

Here is the finished shop. Moving the tool boxes under the bench I actually picked up about 3 square feet of floor space. That’s Master crew Chief Tommy. He doesn’t know the first thing about a car but he will get up in your face. We are a rowdy bunch during hot rod Wednesday.

·
Registered
20,105 Posts
That is a very nice table you built. One of these days if I ever get a real garage I would love to make one myself.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I gave this it's own thread and will put it in the "Best of D&P" Archive.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Boy is that a fantastic bench or what ! :yes:

I'm gonna try this winter to build a new shop bench out of metal also.

Good job,
Stu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts