Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long and frustrating period my Nova is driving smoooth. It has an assortment of CBR,CPP, and some other un-identifiable components in the front end. I have been chasing vibrations of one sort or another for some time. Changed ride height, changed pinion angle, changed engine/ trans. angle etc. Sometimes I seemed to be making progress sometimes not.
Last week I got the jaws and took some time to actually think this through a bit more. What was really bothering me was a side to side shimmy in the steering wheel. Okay, re align, re balance tires, check rim run out, re re balance, ( Road force this time ) new wheel bearings, all to no avail,still shook. Yesterday I machined spacers to go between the bearing hub and wheel center, effectively turning it into a center piloted set up. Smooth as glass! See Y'all I got miles to enjoy and bugs to kill!

PS my hope is this will help one of you!!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh so sorry for making a worthless post.
#1 I could make a pair of spacers quicker than I could post pics.
#2 I see no advantage to posting a pic. rather than the dimensions. (".500 X "3.262 od X "2.775 id.)
#3 250 shimmy free miles today.
That's all folks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good to hear. I have made at least 10 full sets for c3 vettes and like you I here they make a big difference. Thanks for the info I will keep it in mind.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope,o.d. of bearing hub is "2.777, i.d. of Torque Thrust wheel is "3.265. The spacers I made fill the ".244 gap. This forces the wheel to run concentric with the spindle/bearing/hub, rather than with the lugs. there is no additional off-set.
Most modern cars, peek-ups,trucks,trailers use center or hub piloted wheels. To my admittedly pea brain this system kills two peacocks with one ruby, ie; the hub centers the wheel,the hub also carries the load. The lugs mainly clamp the wheel to the hub.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Would you say a good test for this condition might be to get a wheel,
or both for the rear, off the ground, then spin by hand or idle and check
at the tire for out-of-roundness. If so, then continue to see if it is the
tire, wheel or both?

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Excellent information, thank you for posting!!!! :good post:

My father in law is battling a shimmy problem with his '57 Bel Air, and he's running TT's as well. That dang steering wheel hops left to right 1/2" or more! :eek: :mad: :turn: :(

He replaced all the front end with new components, and the '57 still has big problems. I bet going hub centric is the trick... now the problem. We don't have access to a lathe. Anybody know of a ready to go shim that can be purchased off the shelf?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Excellent information, thank you for posting!!!! :good post:

My father in law is battling a shimmy problem with his '57 Bel Air, and he's running TT's as well. That dang steering wheel hops left to right 1/2" or more! :eek: :mad: :turn: :(

He replaced all the front end with new components, and the '57 still has big problems. I bet going hub centric is the trick... now the problem. We don't have access to a lathe. Anybody know of a ready to go shim that can be purchased off the shelf?

Here's one place that makes them. Although lots of other places sell them. Just google hub centric rings.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Excellent Tech Saving post, Thank You so much for sharing with us all :yes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
..... I have made at least 10 full sets for c3 vettes and like you I here they make a big difference.....
Have you ever seen where the lug nuts (I assume they have a taper) won't seat correctly after the hubcentric ring is in position - or am I thinking about this wrong? Guess if it was that far out one would have already been aware of a problem.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Koolio!! Gen you wine, store bought spacers. I actually considered building mine out of nylitron but went with steel. Would have preferred using aluminum just didn't have a chunk of shaft that big.
Glad to hear they are readily available for purchase. I'll be building a set for the back of the Nova and also my '56 as soon as I get to town and pick up a chunk of 6061.
Kind of an after thought maybe but I think these are kind of a safety item also as the load is better supported and lug nuts less likely to loosen.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks again for the link, I ordered a set of rings. The owner was very helpful - and best of all, made in the USA. :D
Right on! I'm glad it worked for you. I have never ordered from that site it was just one of the first ones to pop up. but I will be marking it because I need to order some as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts