Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would finally start a build thread of my boys and I 73 build.

Car history. I traded a quad for the car 2 yrs ago. The car was part of the TV show Drag race high that was on speed channel. It was the back up car.

First brought it home:

My boys and I spent a lot of time sanding the 5 layers of paint off the car and finally sent it to the blaster for the rest.

The car is a lot rusted out and had been hit a few times in its life but nothing that cant be fixed.
For the last year we have been cutting out rust and replacing both Quarter panel, Floor pans, outer wheel houses, Shaved drip rails off, and lots of small repairs.

Christmas this last year I bought the LQ4 and 4l80e trans from a local salvage yard. Paid 1200 for both

My boys working on the wiring harness was really easy.

Also bought LS1 bakes set up.

Future plans.

Build 4 link rear suspension.
Either Air bag or coil overs Still not decided?
Build center console.
Paint Color: Copperhead with 07 caddy CTS maroon rally stripes.
Wheels: ?

ENGINE:
rebuild bottom end with flat top pistons.
243 heads port and polished
Mayhem 2 cam. Specs are 235/240 duration 630 lift on an 113 LSA
various other parts.
Should be around 550 hp.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lookin good buddy, nice seein your boys workin on it ! I hope you got a cooler in that garage ? Summer is here and it's stupid HOT!! Nice to see your progress,good luck.
Rick
Thanks my boys are really enjoying learning to weld and make our own custom parts. It is stupid hot out I think 109 today. I do have a nice port-a-cool.

I really like your car Rick awesome build.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Looks like you all do some nice work, keep it up.:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
G2 makes an excellent epoxy that I have used before. The only disadvantage is that if the finish does get damaged later on, you would need to buy a new pot of epoxy from them, as once it cures, it's garbage, leaving you with no touch-up paint.

www.g2usa.com

I'll be keeping an eye on your build, great to see another AZ resto :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I haven't spent much time working on the nova this summer it has been busy and very very hot this year. So I have decided to work on small parts indoors

I managed to get the LS1 brakes all cleaned and painted. Just received all the rebuild parts from rock auto. Just need to put them back together and their done.
BEFORE:

MIDDLE:

AFTER:

Also managed to get the rear trunk/window valance ready to go back in.

And a patch around the front window:

·
Registered
373 Posts
So I haven't spent much time working on the nova this summer it has been busy and very very hot this year. So I have decided to work on small parts indoors

I managed to get the LS1 brakes all cleaned and painted. Just received all the rebuild parts from rock auto. Just need to put them back together and their done.
BEFORE:

MIDDLE:

AFTER:
Great job on the brakes. Did those come off of a camaro or a vette?? Ive been looking to upgrade my brakes. will the caliper bracket work on the nova spindle??

Those plans that you have for the motor are going to be sweet. Can't wait to see it built.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great job on the brakes. Did those come off of a camaro or a vette?? Ive been looking to upgrade my brakes. will the caliper bracket work on the nova spindle??

Those plans that you have for the motor are going to be sweet. Can't wait to see it built.
Yes the brakes are off a 2000 firebird. I spent probably around 20 hrs cleaning them..

The caliper bracket I would get from CBR. I am still waiting on my brother to make mine. He is a machinist. I have remodeled his entire home for free for future parts that I will need. I may have to wait a very long time. LOL

The motor should sound pretty sick when its done. We have decided to make a few more changes. we are going to us valve relief flat tops pistons. Mill .030 of the deck of the heads to go down to 62cc which should give us 11:1 comp. Hoping to get 510 or so at the RW.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just another quick update. I have only spent a few hours working on the car still incredibly hot and humid. My boys and I are trying to finish the drip rails removal and weld in new metal around the rear window do to that awesome thing called RUST :mad:

The brakes are finally completed. Still need to rebuild the calipers but we decided to wait until we are closer to installing them so the new seals and boots wont dry out.

Also got another parts delivery. SPOHN Del-Sphere rod ends for the 4 link.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,045 Posts
Just another quick update. I have only spent a few hours working on the car still incredibly hot and humid. My boys and I are trying to finish the drip rails removal and weld in new metal around the rear window do to that awesome thing called RUST :mad:

The brakes are finally completed. Still need to rebuild the calipers but we decided to wait until we are closer to installing them so the new seals and boots wont dry out.

Also got another parts delivery. SPOHN Del-Sphere rod ends for the 4 link.

The brakes turned out really nice ! Is your wife letting you use the kitchen table ?
See Ya , Rick

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Nope its a bachelor pad. No permission needed. LOL
That explains why you even have money to spend on those pretty parts. Those rod ends look heavy duty and even greaseable. Nice score and good luck with it.:yes::yes::yes:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts