Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what ever happen to that guy reo78rally that was making the ss and rally grilles???

·
Registered
735 Posts
I need a Rally grille and I contacted Classic Industries and they have no plans for making the Rally/SS grille. Which is stupid because it is the most sought after grille of the 4th gens.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
His last log in was April 1, 2009 so, he stops in evey once in a while I guess. Shoot him a PM and maybe he'll get back to you.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have the molds & materials to make the grille, turnsignals, & brackets. If we got a few people together that really wanted some, I'd rearrange my shop & make plastic for a couple weeks. Grille $125, signals UNassembled (you paint the silver reflector & glue em' together)$60 assembled $125, fiberglass brackets, $40.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you the same guy? hows the quality? have you made any yet? if you have can you post some pics. if it looks good i'll take one with lenses.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know it's like this with the 75s and I think the 76s, but arent the SS grills the same as the Nova Custom Grills? just change the badges?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'll try to post some pics tonight. I've made 7 grilles & about 30 pair of signals, 45-50 pair of tail light bulb housings & still counting, and I made about 25 pair of tail light lenses until the molds surface got ugly. I still have a red grille(red just like tail lights) & some custom signals. I sold most on ebay, the rest here & there until the economy got bad, now bodywork pays better. Perple76 was one of the first people to get a set of lenses from me. I hope they're still looking good. I didn't have nos signal lenses to make molds from, but still very nice. There may even be an old thread with some pics of stuff. I'll do my best to put more on tonight. If atleast 3 people want grilles, I could justify dropping everything else. It's messy & takes up a bunch of room in my little 20X24 shop. The grill oven is huge, & my project nova has to have a dry place to sit.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have the molds & materials to make the grille, turnsignals, & brackets. If we got a few people together that really wanted some, I'd rearrange my shop & make plastic for a couple weeks. Grille $125, signals UNassembled (you paint the silver reflector & glue em' together)$60 assembled $125, fiberglass brackets, $40.
My dad bought me fiberglass brackets from you in 2007 for Christmas and to everyone who reads this 76 SS does GREAT! work on all of his products. :yes::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I know it's like this with the 75s and I think the 76s, but arent the SS grills the same as the Nova Custom Grills? just change the badges?
Not quite. 1975 SS used a black version of the standard grille. 1976 SS was unique diamond pattern grille painted black. 1977-78 Rally was the same diamond pattern but all chrome.

This is an old pic I made. THe only error is that the center holes don't line all on every grille. They are in slightly different positions but the support is drilled for each mount.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I'll try to post some pics tonight. I've made 7 grilles & about 30 pair of signals, 45-50 pair of tail light bulb housings & still counting, and I made about 25 pair of tail light lenses until the molds surface got ugly. I still have a red grille(red just like tail lights) & some custom signals. I sold most on ebay, the rest here & there until the economy got bad, now bodywork pays better. Perple76 was one of the first people to get a set of lenses from me. I hope they're still looking good. I didn't have nos signal lenses to make molds from, but still very nice. There may even be an old thread with some pics of stuff. I'll do my best to put more on tonight. If atleast 3 people want grilles, I could justify dropping everything else. It's messy & takes up a bunch of room in my little 20X24 shop. The grill oven is huge, & my project nova has to have a dry place to sit.
Unfortunately I only have one of the two lenses I bought from you. I dropped the other one on a cold winter evening in the garage and broke it. No fault of the plastic - anything would have broken from the distance I dropped it along with the cold temps. The surviving lense looks great, and is bolted into my "show grille" that I will only install for special occasions such as car shows.

It should be noted that the lenses I purchased are not "NOS" quality, but they are VERY, VERY nice and well worth the price being asked. If I needed another set (which right now I don't), I would definitely purchase some more.

Quite frankly, until Classic Industries and/or GM Restoration parts removes their head from their ***** and starts reproducing grilles and turn signals from original tooling, I think these pieces are the best option out there. Why in the world are these not being reproduced on a mass scale? These are BY FAR the most sought after part for 4th Gen Novas. Instead, they start reproducing the "common" grille. MORONS.

Unfortunately NOS ones are too hard to come buy, and the guys that have NOS parts like this think they're sitting on a gold mine. I just can't bring myself to pay $250-300 for a pair of these lenses, and I consider my operating budget on this car more flexible than most.

If I have time tonight, I'll take a pic of my surviving lense and post it for all to see.

Good product and a fair price. Two thumbs up from me.

J

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not quite. 1975 SS used a black version of the standard grille. 1976 SS was unique diamond pattern grille painted black. 1977-78 Rally was the same diamond pattern but all chrome.

This is an old pic I made. THe only error is that the center holes don't line all on every grille. They are in slightly different positions but the support is drilled for each mount.
Thanks for the detailed input. I enjoyed that.:yes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Will the original turn signal lenses out of my 77 fit the rally grill you make for that year??? They look sweet, I'm interested. I may have missed it, but does the $125 include the freight?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Here's a few pics of some stuff I made

I put 47 pics on photobucket under 76SS. I'll start this weekend. It's a pretty slow process. I've got enough materials to make 6-7 grilles & about that many pairs of signals. Providing the molds hold together that long. I've got all the original parts to make more molds. You can go to smoothon.com to see how easy it really is to copy anything, as long as you have a nice original part that is. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
857 Posts
How we make SS grilles in Arkansas

Clean up the mold & use enough silicone spray to screw up the next 3 or 4 paintjobs in the shop. Put it together & stick it in the homade oven.

Pre heat the mold for 4 hours to get rid of all the moisture in the silicone.

Put the girdle on with wireties, stand it up, stick a funnel in it, pour some plastic, & plug the vents as it fills

Stick it back in the oven for another 4 hours, pull it out, let it cool, & carefully pull the grill out without ripping the mold any more than it already is.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
good job

i bet u keep makein that stuff im sure you wont have any problems gettin rid of it im extremely interested in what you got

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.