Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SS emblem from Trim Parts has got to be on upside down but I'm just checking. I'll post 3 pic's. The first two are how my rear panel is on now. SS emblem pointed up (but my Nova is not a factory SS, so maybe someone installed the SS upside down). And the little tabs that sick out are on the top. Seems like they should be on the bottom?... Third pic is my new part from Trim Parts... Thank You! Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HaHa, either that or you're holding the molding upside down.
Lol... Actually you can't put it on upside down cuz the holes don't line up. So I need to either 1) send it back. Which I don't want to take the time to do). 2) turn the SS symbol around. Which I don't want to do cuz I can see where the paint on the grill has a worn spot & it might show if the SS is turned around. And once I take the SS symbol off there's no returning it. 3) Drill new holes. Think I'll do that but the outside holes will be really close to the old holes...

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
511 Posts
The first pic is correct installation.
Where are those tabs? Hard to tell from 2nd pic.
How is the SS emblem attached to the new trim?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Since you said the car was not an SS maybe the previous owner installed the first molding upside down? He probably had to drill the holes right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You CEW & Zonie! The tabs are at the top. I'll post a pic of the SS attachment on the new panel. I googled the numbers that are on the back of the panel that was on the car. An ebay link came up of someone selling an original non SS panel. So it's probably the original. A previous owner put the SS emblem on. There are just 4 holes for attachment in the car body (2 other holes that are not even close to attachment holes) & the tabs are on the top. It looks like Trim Parts just put the SS emblem on upside down. I'll drill new holes in the body tomorrow. It just seems like those tabs should be on the bottom for drainage. And they will be if I drill new holes...

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 Nova
339 Posts
I was playing with a panel I picked up (non-SS, going on a car that didn't have it), and I ended up putting the tabs down I'm pretty sure. I figured this would give drainage to the panel and help keep it from collecting crud that could rust that panel out. Is it right? Who knows. Is it staying that way? Yup :yes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was playing with a panel I picked up (non-SS, going on a car that didn't have it), and I ended up putting the tabs down I'm pretty sure. I figured this would give drainage to the panel and help keep it from collecting crud that could rust that panel out. Is it right? Who knows. Is it staying that way? Yup :yes:
Yep, I put the panels down too. That just seemed to make sense for drainage...

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Allow me to drag this back up for a moment. My '70 has had the panel like blownhemi's last pic at least since I bought the car in 1989. I have always assumed it to be backwards. The car recently got a frame-off & my painter also mentioned that he had tried to put the panel on the other way & it would not fit. I have known the car since nearly new & never knew of any rear damage so I doubt that the panel was replaced. And I don't think that Trim Parts was making them prior to 1989. And lastly, what are these tabs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts