Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be the chrome pully's... Anyone else have that issue::??.. Drives me nuts.. I'm ready to opt for the good ole everyday painted steel pully's.. Seems I just can't get everything tight enough with the chrome ones to get it to stop.....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I know this is pretty basic but it's worth saying. Anytime you have a noisy belt, the first order of business is making sure that the pulleys are aligned properly. They have to be both parallel and squared to one another. Usually easy to sight from over the fender by eye but a good straight edge is not a bad idea. Also avid cheap v-belts. (I usually stick to Gates or OE.)

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is pretty basic but it's worth saying. Anytime you have a noisy belt, the first order of business is making sure that the pulleys are aligned properly. They have to be both parallel and squared to one another. Usually easy to sight from over the fender by eye but a good straight edge is not a bad idea. Also avid cheap v-belts. (I usually stick to Gates or OE.)
Thanks for the ideas and thoughts.. I always check alignement and try to retighten the belt.. It's plenty tight enough, and aligned.. I will however take some emery to see if that helps..

·
Registered
852 Posts
The inside of the belt (part that touches pulley) Done it many times myself. I'm sure it goes without saying but PLEASE use caution when trying this method...I know it's obvious but the engines running and will not be kind to your fingers if they get in the way. Long as your safe it should yield the results you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Sometimes the squeal come from the belt sticking in the groove. There are two different angled belts and maybe you have the wrong one. Does the belt fit in the v-groove or is only part on the belt touching?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
on my 65 my belt squeels on start up...drives me crazy....I just got a new good year gator belt yesterday...everything is aligned and tight...still squeels:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts