Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1965 Wagon squeaks like a mad person when driven under the driver side. But if I sit on the hood and bounce on it while it's at a standstill it doesn't squeak:confused: I've checked the tie rods, shocks, ball joints, lubbed the front suspension and they all seem to be in good condition. However (since I just purchased the wagon last year) I still don't know the car a whole lot, and the PO put some small metal blocks between the springs, what for:confused: Should I take these out and see if this will releave it...or what am I missing here. All your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
The small metal blocks in the front coil springs are a cheap but not very good way to try to lift the front of the car if the springs are worn and sagging. Could be where your squeak is coming from or the a frame bushings could be worn allowing metal to metal rub.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My 1965 Wagon squeaks like a mad person when driven under the driver side. But if I sit on the hood and bounce on it while it's at a standstill it doesn't squeak:confused: I've checked the tie rods, shocks, ball joints, lubbed the front suspension and they all seem to be in good condition. However (since I just purchased the wagon last year) I still don't know the car a whole lot, and the PO put some small metal blocks between the springs, what for:confused: Should I take these out and see if this will releave it...or what am I missing here. All your help is greatly appreciated.
Does your wagon have Power (Assist) steering?Mine used to squeak and could not figure it out.Turned out to be some of the power assist mechanisms.lubed them and it quite.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd think to check the spring perches if they are worn out. You'll see the grease around the ends from were the seals have failed. Mine are worn and squeak. My springs are also worn and I used helpers to help lift them a little, but the spring "settled" or collapsed back down.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wagon has manual steering, I have a feeling it's a bad steering box. How do I know if the steering box has gone bad:confused: It is extremely difficult to turn especially when parking and that is when it squeaks the most when I'm turning:mad:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I think you will find the front spring perches need to be replaced, as mentioned before the blocks in the spring IMO are to help lift the car, possible correcting sag from side to side.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turned out to be the frame bushings & the spring purches that I will need to replace. Thanks for all your help guys this site is awesome. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts