Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am able to hear a squeak or chirp like noise after my 350 warms up. I removed the lone drive belt and and the noise was still there. This eliminated the water pump and alternator as the culprit. The balancer and pulley bolts are tight .Do harmonic balancers "go bad"?

Thanks!:chev:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Yes, they do. The rubber can fail and the outer ring can slip. Check your timing and see if it's off. Take a look and see if the outer ring has shifted.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Are you saying that cause you used a timing light and checked the timing or are you saying that cause the car is running good...IF the ring moves on the balancer the actual timing settings for the motor will remain the same as it was before the ring moved BUT since the ring has moved (thus moving the marking for TDC) the timing will appear to be off when you check it with a timing light...that is what Paul was talking about...:)

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked with light and the marks line up as they should. engine runs well. what is the torque spec for the balancer bolt?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
maybe something is hitting the timing cover?....take a long screwdriver and use it as a stethescope and see if you can't pinpoint it, maybe its the balancer, maybe not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts