Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 SS with a squeak in the left front suspension when driving or pushing down hard on the left front fender. All bushings were replaced with Moog polyurathane, along with new springs last year, just had reputable tire shop replace a bushing above the spring perch which they thought may be the problem since it was the only bushing not replaced last year. Noise stopped for a few days, now its back. Any ideas while I still have my sanity?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
did you lube the bushings with graphite before installing them or get the bushings are are impregnated with graphite...cause if not the poly bushings may be the cause...I have heard that the non-graphite versions are known to squeak

·
Registered
29 Posts
How's the return from the shock after you press of the front fender? Shock could be weak. I have had the same thing happen when it going/ out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Squeak

Shocks are new also, (1year old), will try the lithium grease, and will check to see if shock is rubbing. Thanks for your replies, now if I could just get the wife to go for those new heads I want.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Squeak

Shocks are new also, (1year old), will try the lithium grease, and will check to see if shock is rubbing. Thanks for your replies, now if I could just get the wife to go for those new heads I want.....
Did you ever solve the squeak? I have a 66 SS and passenger side squeak is driving me crazy. I have viking coilovers from CBR which are awesome! Took it apart and spring and spring perch are rubbing in 3 places. Is there supposed to be a bushing between the two? Tried lithium grease but still squeaking.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Try dry Teflon lube keeps the dirt away and lubricates great.

·
6,489 Posts
You could try something like WD40 to pin point the source. Do each moveable joint one at a time to see which one makes it go quiet. The WD40 is not a solution but can be used for troubleshooting. A dry rag will clean up the overspray of the WD40 if needed. When you find the source then you can concentrate on a remedy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you fix the squeak? Having same issue on my 65. I have viking coil overs and my perch is pretty messed up from the original install of them. I'm still searching for the squeak. I've got a cpp min sub frame kit with the uppers and lowers. Only squeaks on the passenger side. Driving me nuts though. Thanks

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
If the perch is messed up I’d look there first. The rubber bushings can go bad in the oem type preches.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If the perch is messed up I’d look there first. The rubber bushings can go bad in the oem type preches.
I thought the perch is all metal that sits directly on top of spring then we can see it through the shock tower. Looks like I need to perches new perches. Any recommendation on where to get them for gen 1? Been driving like this for 2 or so years and just started hearing the squeak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm talking about upper front spring perches. The bottom is viking coil over and cpp upper and lower mini subframe kit.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I have the CPP kit and it has not made any squeaking noises. I have regular coil springs and shocks and none of that has made any noise either.. I cleaned up all the parts and painted everything up when I installed the CPP kit.. I also got new bushings for my sway bar at the same time and the sway bar has been the only thing that has given me any trouble. The bushings have moved out from where they belong a couple of times and will make some unusual sounds..

You might go through and nut and bolt the front suspension.. Make sure everything is where it should be and torqued adequately.. Also, lubricate all of your associated moving parts..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Will do, and thanks. Yes similar deal with mine. My entire front end was re done with cpp, steering column, gear box, mini sub, dual coil over vikings and sway bar. No steaks in 2 years then put in TCI 4 link and it seem to start after that. I've had the steering arms off multiple times for 3 oil pans and possibly something there. Got it jacked up and will start looking. I've found a black light works really good finding leaks but i'm looking for squeaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts