Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 71 nova with front drum brakes and i am trying to pull the springs out up front. If i take the lower ball joint loose will i get the lower control arm to clear the brake backing plate?? i do not want to take the top ball joints loose if all possible.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
spring removal...

Just did this exercise a couple of weeks ago and also the reinstall. You would have to use a spring compressor that could be installed inside the spring while it is in the car. I think the car would have to be jacked up pretty good to allow room for lower control arm to drop down. It would be much easier to take the upper ball joint apart with floor jack under the lower control arm. Once the joint is apart you can "slowly" lower the jack and the spring will fall out. I put a safety strap on the spring..just in case:eek: If you are worried about hurting the upper boot...just put grease on it and go easy.. couple of raps with the big hammer and fork and it should come loose. You will need the spring compressor for the reinstall part of the job. I would also recommend a helper for the job.....and be careful!

wilma:shh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts