Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, new here so i need some help. just bought my first nova. 63 ss. my question is are the mono springs any different then the main spring on a multi leaf. the car has three on itnow and sits pretty high. i'm wonderuing if i can just take two out and return the car to its original stance. i don't know if the previous owner just added two springs to the mono or if he bought a multi. he says he just added. i would think a mono would be a bit thicker in the middle, but this one looks to be the same thickness all the way through, is there any reason i should not remove two and is there any way to tell if it is the original mono
thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mono Leaf springs

The Mono leaf spring has a tapered thickness and was engineered this way to give the strength of a multi leaf setup with a better ride.

I had one crack on the front eyelet on my 64 Nova back in the early 70's and replaced them with a set of multi leaf springs from NAPA. This is a 3 leaf setup. They are still on and appear to have the same ride height of the mono leaf springs.

Paul S

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
springs

thanks paul,
any thickness measurments i could take to determine if they are in fact a mono that had two leafs added. what i would like to do is just remove the two.
thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mono should be 1/2" thick in the middle and should get thinner towards both eyelets, while at the same time getting wider. My multi's are dang near the same width all the way across the length of the spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts