Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
i dont think it's safe unless your talking electric turbine and than a large hose and gun.. If it's a wagner or the like i think the electricity in the handle would be to close and might ignite the paint vapors since it's thinned with mineral spirits. I'd do it outside possibly in a well ventilated area if I even was gonna attempt it. I'd get a cheap $99 dollar compressor from harbor fright and a $9.99 gun and than shoot it with nason or another cheap enamel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got about 4 gallons of acrylic auto enamel for under $50 bux off of craigslist. I have so much paint and reducer.. You just need to look around and search for auto body person saleing all there stuff. I have 2 gallons of Dupont centari Bright Red that was included and I had no plans for it.. Maybe we could work something out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to paint barns years ago. I started with an electric Wagner sprayer, and I believe the manual mentioned using thinner(flammable) to thin oil based paints so I doubt you'd need to worry about a fire. I think the bigger issue would be the quality. I never cared for the quality of the wagner I used, but it was used so...

Also, realize that house paint sprayers are airless, so they put the paint on heavier than you might want on smooth metal.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I've seen a car done with one and it looked like CRAP! Now that being said, if guys are putting Rustoleum on with rollers and color sanding, buffing and polishing and making them look good... What the hell, Give it a try! Couldn't hardly be worse.

P.S. The flamability shouldn't be an issue, as they are used to apply thinned oil based paints, too.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i use titan airless sprayers everyday, its what i do for a living. i have sprayed everything from elastomers to metallics with them. make no mistake you CAN produce a very high quality finish with them. all you need to do is tune pressure and material as with any other system. i sprayed 11 mahogony doors last week with polyurethane clear last week with a titan 440i and 409 tip. they looked sweet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts