Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has to be an easier way. Replacing panels on my 66 Corsa Turbo Conv. Everthing on that car is held together with spot welds. I have burnt spot weld cutters up like they are free. Recip-saw blades (even high dollars cobalt) don't do it. I'am using a 26/64 pilot drill bit now with a copper pipe over it so that only about 1/16th. of an inch is showing. slow process. Corvairs must have about 100 spot welds in each panel. What is the best way to get them apart? The spot welds are not round either. they are more like an egg shape. Talk about a project. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I use an air chisel on them.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CDJr said:
I use an air chisel on them.
If I didn't want to reuse the panels that I'am cutting off of the donor car, I surely would use an air chiesel. Also most of the spot welds on a Corvair are in places that an air chiesel would bend them in before it would cut them. Tom, I will go with the rota broach cutter. For as many panels as I want to save from this donor car, that is a cheap investment. Most of the rust free panels on this 66 southern body are not avialable no mater how much you want to spend. Repos are fiberglass. Thanks for the tips. Vapor

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i did the rockers full, inner and outer on my convertible and had well over 100 spot welds to remove...started with a spotweld cutter (i used a Blair product that worked really good) but got sick of that so i got a spotweld cutting air hammer bit, works very very quickly and does not badly damage the to be replaced section but it does damage the "not used" stuff, but since your not using it, who cares, it will bend it up, not damage but will make a straight area (pinch weld on rocker) wavy, a little hammer and dolly work and its perfect....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Use cutting oil or broach lube for faster cutting and MUCH longer life of the tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts