Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready to re splatter paint my trunk on my 72 nova and i was wondering how many cans os splatter paint i would need 2 or 3 ? im doing the teal and black what is a good brand i was looking at the plasticoat stuff and the dupont in the rattle cans it doesnt have to look factory the car is a street strip car and has a cell in the trunk but i want it to look good any help or info is apprieciated thanks mike

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I use the Duplicolor brand main thing is with using splatter paint is be sure and clear coat it because it is not water proof it gets wet it will come off. I use the Clear bodyshop paint in spray can from napa not your cheap off the shelf cans they also have the Splatter paint for a good coverage it will take probably 3 cans and the stuff doesn`t go far. 1 can of the clear will do it is a larger can not like the regular spray cans.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup::yes::yes::yes:I agree with ^^^^^^
I did a 68 Camaro and got away with 2 cans but would buy 3 next time. I cleared it as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think if I spill gas in the trunk it would stain the paint I don't normally spill it but you never know I just need something that's a little durable I guess the automotive clear will do the trick does the clear come out really shiny I really don't want the high gloss if anybody has some pics of there trunks donewith the clear can you post them

·
Registered
173 Posts
We use a product called Zolatone.It comes in quart can and can be sprayed with a primer gun.This is very durable product from what I read and heard.It also have a low luster finish like the factory and no need to clear coat.Here's the part number for Black/Aqua and its what I used also.I used 2 quarts.
Zolatone Black/Aqua 20-TS02
http://www.zolatoneaim.com/trunk-spatter
Here's a pic of my trunk.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Best stuff on the market is what oldyeller7 used. More expensive yes but
worth it for the long haul.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Best stuff on the market is what oldyeller7 used. More expensive yes but
worth it for the long haul.

Chuck
gonna have to try it on the next one. I wasn't thilled with the gloss after I cleared the trunk. It wasn't terrible but.....

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
I didn't think Zolatone was around anymore. We used it for the insides of aluminum boats in the '60's (at least the part of them I remember). It was a great product then, needed good prep but they all do.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Don't use the rattle can splatter paint anywhere that will get wet. A buddy did his undercarriage and engine bay, and amazingly, when it got wet weeks later, it melted and oozed like it was still wet running paint.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Don't use the rattle can splatter paint anywhere that will get wet. A buddy did his undercarriage and engine bay, and amazingly, when it got wet weeks later, it melted and oozed like it was still wet running paint.
Thats for sure the stuff I used runs like a race horse when it gets wet. It was suppose to be good stuff too.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I did the trunk of my 63 and it took about 6 cans for complete coverage.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun to be inside the trunk grinding it to bare metal.

:ragtop:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Trunk paint

I used Eastwood trunk paint. You can buy it by the can or a kit that comes with three cans of paint and two cans of clear. Have used it on a few cars and have not had any problems with it.

·
13,707 Posts
The correct term is 'spatter' paint. It's only 'splatter' if you make a big mess putting it on:D.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts