Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between 62/63 spindles and 64 and on spindles?
Is there difference in the spindle size between drum and disc brakes?

Basically what I am asking is, can I take 64 drum spindles and incorporate disc components

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
4 luggers 62/63 are much smaller then 5 luggers. 64/67 and 68/72 are the same with one difference 68/72 have a larger lower ball joint.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Savage_racing Basically what I am asking is said:
Yes; with some mods. You have to trim the upper mounting boss so it is flush wiht the lower; usually about .5" to .6" of an inch has to be removed. The nicest way is to have a machine shop mill it but some have simply cut it off with a hacksaw and smooth with a grinder. You may have to drill and tap the hole deeper as well.
Be sure and use the 64 steering arms as well. You'll probably have to enlarge the steering arm mounting holes as well, the disc brake bracket uses larger hardware.
If your car is a 62/63 you'll also need to mod or move the bump stops or your turning radius will be reduced. If you can get lower control arms from a 64-67 then use them.
Outside of the caliper brackets you can buy all the parts at your local parts store.
If you need some help with what years/makes of parts to ask for just PM me. I'm going to be removing the disc setup from my car over the next few weeks so I could send you some pics if you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shawn63 said:
Yes; with some mods. You have to trim the upper mounting boss so it is flush wiht the lower; usually about .5" to .6" of an inch has to be removed. The nicest way is to have a machine shop mill it but some have simply cut it off with a hacksaw and smooth with a grinder. You may have to drill and tap the hole deeper as well.
Be sure and use the 64 steering arms as well. You'll probably have to enlarge the steering arm mounting holes as well, the disc brake bracket uses larger hardware.
If your car is a 62/63 you'll also need to mod or move the bump stops or your turning radius will be reduced. If you can get lower control arms from a 64-67 then use them.
Outside of the caliper brackets you can buy all the parts at your local parts store.
If you need some help with what years/makes of parts to ask for just PM me. I'm going to be removing the disc setup from my car over the next few weeks so I could send you some pics if you want.
Pictures would be awesome.
I just got a 64 that had disc brakes and the guy I got it from stole the disc brakes except for the proportioning valve. SO I may still have the disc spindles.
AND when I got my 63 a found a complete 69 camaro disc brakes setup, so if I can make these two fit that would be A OK.
Where in Ontario are you located?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Savage_racing said:
Pictures would be awesome.
I just got a 64 that had disc brakes and the guy I got it from stole the disc brakes except for the proportioning valve. SO I may still have the disc spindles.
AND when I got my 63 a found a complete 69 camaro disc brakes setup, so if I can make these two fit that would be A OK.
Where in Ontario are you located?
The caliper mounting brackets should bolt onto the 64 spindles if they have been mod. as I mentioned before. The calipers and m/c would be useful as core exchanges.
I'm in Lindsay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts