Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The previous owner of my 65 painted most of the trim. Grill, headlight bezels and browes, side trim and tail light bezels. Looks OK, maybe, from 20 ft.

When I questioned it, he told me the only thing that was kinda bad was the grill. Everything else was painted silver/grey to match. Well I started taking the trim off to strip it and or replace it if too pitted.
My god, how does an average to large American male get his extremedies between the inner and outer trunk panels to remove the back up light assemblies. I'm 6'-1", 245. I have short, fat fingers and forearms like Popeye the sailor man. Is there a trick to it. I know, hire someone.

From these pictures you would think there is enough room to turn the SS Enterprise around in there. Till you try to snake your arm in.
Help, please..... How do you reach the far side clip/nut.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
can you sneak your hand in thebig hole to the left? i know i have baisicly shaved the skin of my forarm reaching in places another thought is ask a neighbor hood kid for help:yes:

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucess

Thanks to a recently posted complete 65 Nova Assembly Manual I realized the trunk mounted back up light assemblies are mounted differently before I lost the skin off my forearms. (Thankyou Innovative63) Still was tough to get the harness unplugged, there was no slack on the drivers side. I've never had to change a bulb so I didn't realize the back up light assemblies had bolts into body nuts after you remove the lens. Unlike the tail light assemblies that come off whole with two nuts. I'm sure a lot of people could have pointed that out. Did I say something to tick people off? Anyway, stripped the silver/grey paint and redid the black on the side emblem. Looks better I think. Not perfect. The grill, brows and hood trim will be a bigger job.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
That looks MUCH better!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That is an odd color. What is it? Is it factory? Do you have any more pics of the car? Looks pretty cool from what I can see in the pics you posted.
Jeff

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is an odd color. What is it? Is it factory? Do you have any more pics of the car? Looks pretty cool from what I can see in the pics you posted.
Jeff
Sorry for not answering right away. The post got back three pages and I lost track of it until I looked for it to post a couple more pics. Here's my web page http://home.earthlink.net/~kevdebin/oldgold/
The color is Champagne Gold. Think it's what the 70 Chevelles had with the black SS stripes. Don't know if it's the same as the Year One 2nd generation Nova color, but it's similar. I just like the color.

More trim work......
I can't remember who mentioned here on another post something about removing the anodize on aluminum trim befor buffing, but it works. Easy-off applied a couple of times. The anodize takes forever to get through if you don't strip it. I'm gonna redo the tailights again too. Anyway whoever it was, THANKS......
Here are more pics of removing paint from trim.

The grill, bezels and brows were all painted silver grey.

Here' my professional buffing station.

Used Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper to remove the paint. Easy-off gets most of the anodize off. A little tweaking metal work for the small dents and scrapes. Vibratory sander to smooth the metal work, 400 then 1000. Red, then white compound, then 3M swirl remover on the Pro Buffing station.
The grill is next...... Much bigger job, I'm guess'n......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts