Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The county is officially shutting down Speedworld Motorplex. The staff is trying to convince the county to at least allow them to continue operating through May in order to get through some important points meets and a Heritage race, but a February closing is the latest date they can confirm right now. After 52 years of operation Arizona is losing an important and iconic dragstrip and general motorsports facility.

With Firebird in a constant state of flux we may lose sanctioned legal drag racing all together in the major Phoenix area. Unbelievable. If the City of Phoenix thought they had a street racing problem before then they don't have any clue what's going to hit them when these drag strips shut down.

This is a truly sad state of affairs. The West cannot afford to lose any more racing facilities. It's crazy that the West coast was the birth place of drag racing, and for a while now drag strips have been dropping like flies. I hope the rotten S.O.B.'s behind all this choke on their own b.s.:mad:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dang I hate to hear of any drag strip closing down...maybe you guys could get together and sign a petition to keep it open ...if it shows a large interest maybe it can remain in operation ...its worth a try ...I would rally and protest it to the fullest...make the point of people turning to street racing which endangers innocent people at least a drag strip gives them some where to race safely!!!

·
14,584 Posts
Isn't this the track that is on an Indian reservation? I thought I heard that something was being worked out to continue leasing the land from the tribe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't this the track that is on an Indian reservation? I thought I heard that something was being worked out to continue leasing the land from the tribe.
Nope... that's Firebird which is out in the East valley. Speedworld is in the West valley just outside of Phoenix.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would have to say there are many types of street racers out there!! None are legal and are unsafe to some extent but the ones with good heads on there shoulders take it out of town on empty roads with no residential or commercial around. We have even had sheriffs come by and watch just to make sure nobody was drinking or being idiots. But with these closing it will open the doors to the idiots that cant handle the urge. Dont get me wrong if you pull next to me at a stop light and give me the look i will give it a go as long as safety allows and im not rice racing you to 150mph on a street with traffic.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
:( It's a shame when these cool places are forced to close. Just add it to the list with other tracks that closed over the years. US 30 in Indiana, Oswego in Illinois, the list goes on and on. Rockford Speedway has been under pressure for the last hand full of years but has managed to survive.

Just my :2cents:

:ragtop:

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
KCIR was purchased by Kansas City to become a park. The place is wiped clean now like nothing was there - except the track. People that built homes there long after KCIR was built complained about the noise! It just sucks.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
DANGIT ANOTHER ONE, I THOUGHT WE HAD IT BAD! :mad:

·
Registered
663 Posts
That sucks to hear, we were planning on making a trip out there & Firebird this year because our strips are closed here! The street racing out here is just getting worse, these guys have very few places to go & options are limited. It really isn't looking good for Fontana re-opening either. :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KCIR was purchased by Kansas City to become a park. The place is wiped clean now like nothing was there - except the track. People that built homes there long after KCIR was built complained about the noise! It just sucks.
People that move close to a racing facility and then complain about the noise are literally the dumbest people on earth. They should have bulldozers ran through their homes.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wow! First I have heard of this. Not good. I love going out to Speedworld. Even made a few passes there. I have a friend who races in the ADRA and I would go out to watch and help. Bummer.:(

·
Registered
670 Posts
People that move close to a racing facility and then complain about the noise are literally the dumbest people on earth. They should have bulldozers ran through their homes.
Ya its the expansion of surprise, the residents of wittman have been fine with it all these years, granted most of them went to the track themselves.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We lost Island Dragway in NJ this year. Home of the first 200mph pass by Garlits.
First track I raced at back in 76 never thought it would close due to it's location.Speedworld is now my home track and it sits in the middle of nowhere just like island.Can't believe the boys haven't sold Etown yet,that land is worth a fortune

It's a crime to loss these two tracks,they both have so much history.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts