Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently ordered the swing mount speedway hydraulic clutch kit for a borg-warner supert10 WR that im putting in my 74 nova... after taking a look at it and doing some research i think i made a mistake in ordering it. first off it seems incomplete. i don't have much experience in this area and i was told this would give me an lighter clutch weight, as i'm 15 and small for my age and plan to do some cruises with it i though it would be a good idea. should i have opted for the hydraulic TO bearing instead. and am i going to notice a huge difference in a hydraulic clutch, im currently driving a 93 silverado with the 5 speed and don't have problems with the clutch in that

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
it's not necessary to go hydraulic, use the std mechanical linkage an a diaphragm style clutch and the pedal pressures will be comparable... the system you purchased sounds like it's the pedal assy & master... you'd still need either a slave cylinder or a hyd t/o bearing. the hyd t/o's run in/around $500.00. i think for that you can build a couple/few mechanical systems...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the slave cylinder came in the kit, does that remove the need for a hyd TO, how i understand it speedway intends the slave to be bolted to the fork with a heim, does that sound right, so maybe i do have the correct kit:confused:.. hopefully

·
Registered
310 Posts
You are going to have to be more specific about what you bought. Perhaps a link to the kit or a pic of all the components. But to answer your question...my experience has been that you will have less pedal effort.

Flyer you just don't like the hydraulic actuated clutches do you? Give technology a chance! :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah i do like 'em, wish i had one... the NOVAK kit looks ok but isn't applicable to a 1st/2nd genner car. the guys running a T56 are using the complete assy so it's a no brainer. a decent clutch is around $300. now add in a good hyd system and it makes it so expensive in most case i think most of the guys i'm thinking of helping can't afford or don't want to spend that kind of money... the hyd t/o's are real close to $500.00 which i think puts most guys out of the ball park when combined with all the other pieces required. scattershield, flywheel, clutch, tranny...

and then i ask, what gain does a hyd set up Really offer you?

i've asked for drive-tested results on hyd set ups in 1st/2nd genners so many times and as of yet i haven't really heard from anyone. sure lots of guys building but how many have a tested reliable system? i haven't really heard of any or i'm just not recalling.

i'm not against hyd set ups i'd just like to be able to recommend an easy, reliable, dependable and cost conscience kit that works... what's out there?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The advantage for me was space. I got rid of all that linkage. With the headers I have i couldn't get a straight shot with spring. Add to the fact that I had a non-nova block which means I needed to relocate the Z-bar mount. I just got sick of it and chucked it all. Not to say that it was easy to add another master cylinder and get the pedal push rod right but it was all worth it. :yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah i know exactly what you're talking about and what you dealt with... you see the issue i have is not all the guys are capable to do what you did. they need an absolute bolt on and go set up and really there isn't one that doesn't require mock ups, modifications & possible fabrications. sometimes it's hard enough explaining how to fix something let alone how to design & actually build something.

don't get me wrong though i'm all for old fashioned Hotrodding... but

until there's a bolt on kit i'll have to side with the ol'dependable with my recommendations...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the slave is a simple push/pull type slave. the master is no big deal either. a special pedal isn't really required. what's needed is to mount the master so the actuation rod has a perfectly straight shot at the bore. the rod itself may need to be fabbed so it has a jog in it. straight, a 90°, straight and another 90° to the unit.

a bracket on the trans will hold the slave.

the kit looks ok but i really don't think the pedal is needed and it'll require more than necessary fab work to make the complete assy work. if it were me i'd use just the master and the slave and mount them myself with the existing clutch pedal...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hyd Clutch

I bought the complete hyd clutch set-up from American powertrain. The kit comes complete . I dont think there is much differance in the peddle preasure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would agree with Flyer the pedal is unnecessary unless you are starting with an AT car. You will have to make space for and fabricate a mount for the master in the firewall.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i think the easiest is to get a clutch & brake pedal assy and all the correct factory linkage and Boo-Yah... bolt it in...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nova SS67
How's the American Powertrain setup?
I wasn't impressed with one of their tech guys, I do think the hydramax kit is a nice place to start.
May get the trans, bellhousing, and clutch/flywheel elsewhere.

Hope you don't mind me dropping the question here, it seems related to the thread

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
179 Posts
this wouldnt be too hard to set up. I know using stock stuff would be easier, but this setup would be cool. Theres room for the master right next to the brake master.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts