Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer developed a squeek after driving for a bit that would come and go. Sounded like a canary.:( But now it just started sounding like 1000 canarys!:eek: The needle doesn't vacillate or jump around. It seems to do it after everything is warmed up. I think it is the speedometer and not the cable but I'm just guessing. Anyone ever have this problem or know if I can lube the speedometer?

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled my speedometer cable out & drove about 15 miles...No noise. I put slight pressure/resistance on the cable end as it turned and no noise. So It seems pretty certain the problem is with the speedometer itself. I think I might be able switch to an all Nova (77-79) setup with bezel and guages without it being too much trouble but I like the Pontiac guages. I am trying to verify that the guage pod & guages are the same as a 77-78 Grand Prix or maybe the more rare 77 Can Am. Phoenix parts are hard to find but 77-79 Grand Prix are more plentiful. Hard to find anyone who knows...Even Pontiac people don't seem to know much about the Phoenix :confused: Kind of makes me feel sorry for my Phoenix...pretty unpopular fella :( Electronic custom guages would be neat but I don't have hundreds to put into this right now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd pull the inner cable out of the case and lube it all the way down. Look for frayed area's. I used to pull the cable out a bit and attach a drill motor, spin it at a moderate pace as you pull it gently out. Once out do the inspection and then coat it with graphite grease, get it started and slowly work it back in spinning it a little bit by hand. Be careful not to cover your interior with grease as you feed the cable in to the case. I would cover the entire area with an old sheet.

It might be your gauge, but I doubt it. Out of the hundreds of times I've fixed this noise only a couple turned out to have a speedo issue. Repairing the actual speedometer is fairly simple on this vintage GM but some of the parts are made out of unobtainuim anymore.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd pull the inner cable out of the case and lube it all the way down. Look for frayed area's. I used to pull the cable out a bit and attach a drill motor, spin it at a moderate pace as you pull it gently out. Once out do the inspection and then coat it with graphite grease, get it started and slowly work it back in spinning it a little bit by hand. Be careful not to cover your interior with grease as you feed the cable in to the case. I would cover the entire area with an old sheet.

It might be your gauge, but I doubt it. Out of the hundreds of times I've fixed this noise only a couple turned out to have a speedo issue. Repairing the actual speedometer is fairly simple on this vintage GM but some of the parts are made out of unobtainuim anymore.
Thanks...The noise seems to be coming from right behind the speedometer. FEW Questions: 1) Are you saying I can gradually pull the cable out of the housing and then put it back in--or a new cable back in? It would need to go all the way back down into the speedometer gear again-right?

2) If the cable is bad, can I just change the cable and not the whole housing?

3) I am trying to verify (not easy) whether a 74-77 Grand Prix instrument cluster will work with my Phoenix. It looks like they are the same. I have heard that Pontiac used up excess inventory of components from other models on the Phoenix. Below is a picture of mine and link to a Grand Prix/LaMans unit on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110977942481?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

[/IMG]

·
Registered
667 Posts
Kim,

1: yes, the inner cable can be changed. They sell a universal cable you can cut to fit. I've done hundreds of them over the years. It's a lot easier to get it to go back in the gear that you would think. Just spin the cable as you push it down and it will rotate into place and slip into the gear. On the rare occasion it gives you grief just pull the outer cable off of the trans and fit it in.

2:Yes, sometimes. Make sure you check it all. Sometimes the inner cable wears and damages the outer case. If the inner cable has a lot of wear be careful. If the outer case has damage it can cause the inner cable to fail in short order. I doubt this is the case for you since it's not jumping.

3:I have no idea. In general GM didn't use stuff in just one car. Most time the parts were used in multiple car lines to save on production costs.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Okay, I pulled the cable out of the housing and the cable looks good. No frayed areas or damage that I can see. The thing I do see is a rusty residue on certain areas of the cable. Could this explain the racket?

·
Registered
929 Posts
It might be. sounds like moisture is seeping thru the cable housing. i would wipe it down good, make sure the rusty spots are cleaned down as best as possible, maybe with wd-40 lightly with 200 grit sand paper. graphite it up good and reinstall. good luck.:yes:

Jim.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay--I finally got back to this. Inspected the cable- looked good to me- cleaned the old cable off good with wd-40 & then reinstalled. I used a little white lithium grease so the graphite would stick to the cable. I put it in and tested it for about 20 miles. No noise...so like you guys were thinking, it wasn't the speedometer! But now the speedometer needle jumps around up to about 20 MPH. I assume that means the cable is binding up a little. What should I do next? Do you think it is caused by the white lithium?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Why would you need something to make the graphite grease stick? I'm confused. I always just smeared the graphite grease on by hand as I fed it back into the housing.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE=Knuckle Dragger;1975012]Why would you need something to make the graphite grease stick? I'm confused. I always just smeared the graphite grease on by hand as I fed it back into the housing.[/QUOTE]

I used this powdered graphite the guy at NAPA recommended.

[/IMG][

·
Registered
667 Posts
So it's a powder form? If so my guess is it formed a paste like substance and that's your issue. IF you take it apart again you should know. I'd use either just the lithium or anti-seize if you have it, but don't mix that powder with it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, thanks guys. I'll try some things and see what happens. The reason I used the grease with the graphite was that not much of the graphite would stay on the cable...it's like dust. I didn't want to use heavy grease to bind it up--especially when it's cold. It makes sense that the grease and the graphite might work against each other... I'll report back! :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts